ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

urgent oil advice needed (willy turbo)

williams 2 turbo
hello people. i have a williams turbo wwhich has just had to have a crank regrind and new big end bearings etc. finally got it back together and it ran fine, till the oil temp started to rise, and the oil pressure fell. is it just me or is fully syth, oil to thin for it as it was dripping off the dipstick like water.

what oil do people use in there modified engines, it tb's or turbo etc, i just don't fancy another rebuild just becasue of using the wrong oil(to thin).

many thanks

steve.

p.s. just so im not going mad, this fully syth, thin stuff would cause a drop in oil pressure would'nt it?

172 FF
You do need thin oil for turbo's but if the engine parts i.e seals etc.. are old or the turbo is old you tend to go for something a bit thicker (not too thick though).
I had a bit of a problem when I changed the turbo on my last car (fiesta RS) the drop in oil pressure at high temp (due to oil pump being old) was causing the turbo spindle to grind on the bearings when I was running high boost & destroying the turbo. Had to get it rebuilt twice :p
You probably want something like fully synth 5/40 or maybe even 10/40 would do, but the 0/40 is probably too thin unless you have a new oil pump seals & new piston rings etc.
I'm not an expert on oils though so maybe someone else can suggest an exact oil for you.