ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Urgent Help Please! That ECU cover chafing the loom issue

I'm after some quite urgent advice please, I've tried searching first and can't find any useful info at the moment.

My friends 02 plate clio (sorry don't know what engine) has died. It's been taken to renaults and they've said that the engine loom has been chaffed through by the cover on the ECU and they want £260 to replace it.

She basically can't afford this and I'm always up for having a go myself so how difficult is it to get to these wires to chop in a new section to the broken ones or insulate it all to get the car going again. The guy at the dealer's is being helpful at the moment and although said they could only replace the whole loom and not repair was willing to have a look at it for me to see if he reckons it's fixable.

He says it's in an awkward position to get to but surely if it came to it I could pull the loom out, repair and plug it all back in?

I haven't been able to have a look as it's up in Nottingham and I'm right down in Kent so any info/photos would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Phil

PS it's also got the airbag light fault from the wires under the seat - does this just need a new easy plug/cable? Dealers want £45 to do it.

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Not sure on the ecu but you can buy a kit from k-tec & ebay for the £30 mark that lets you clear fault codes ;) or just buy resisters for the seat plugs to "trick" the car into thinking there working, there is a thread some where about it..

Megane dci 130
Its probably the D4f, with the ECU on the back of the engine. The little square ECU cover rubs on the loom and causes open circuits. Dissconnect the battery, Take the cover off and dissconnect both connectors. Repair any loom which looks rotten or broken with the same thickness wire.

Also just cut out the grey and yellow connectors from under the seats for the airbag fault.

Its probably the D4f, with the ECU on the back of the engine. The little square ECU cover rubs on the loom and causes open circuits. Dissconnect the battery, Take the cover off and dissconnect both connectors. Repair any loom which looks rotten or broken with the same thickness wire.

Also just cut out the grey and yellow connectors from under the seats for the airbag fault.

Is it that easy? When you say disconnect both connectors do mean one at each end of a short bit of loom so I can get that bit out and work on it?

Sounding promising......

Ta :)

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
injection loom it would be, i bodged my friends one with some insulation tape 6months ago, been fine ever since, took 5 mins.

You have to rotate the anti tamper device on the back of the cover to get it off. Its a gold wheel with holes in it, if you use a mirror to see down the back youll find it, use a small allen key to rotate it undone, takes about 7-8 mins of undwinding but be patient it will come!!

Not many people know this, and normaly end up crow barring it off!!

You have to rotate the anti tamper device on the back of the cover to get it off. Its a gold wheel with holes in it, if you use a mirror to see down the back youll find it, use a small allen key to rotate it undone, takes about 7-8 mins of undwinding but be patient it will come!!

Cheers. Renault have taken that off already :)

Megane dci 130

Very anoying that is.

Volvo S60 T5
Cover can be a fucker t get off especially if it has been played with by someone who dont know what they are doing.
Once you get the cover off its inlet manifold off, remove throttle boy and clean good practice and fit new loom takes 1.5 hours to do from start to finnish.

cheers guys. Unfortunately I'm not gonna be able to get up there to help her out so it has to go to the garage (prob main dealer too :( £££!) and they've told me today that they haven't been able to test any of the diag stuff as they can't until this is fixed which means that it still might not run even after the loom's done!