ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Uknown Device Driver, need help finding them!

My Pc has been forever plagued with Uknown Device Driver crashes, its been to Acer repair center 3 times and had the HDD replaced twice, sadly its out of warranty and I've just bought Half Life 2 and keeps crashing during Counter Strike Source, which I can't be having! So gotta sort it myself this time.... sorry to bore..

Attatched a few images, I've google the portcls.sys bit but not luck. I have a feeling its something to do with the Audio drivers!

Last edited:
  500bhp Scoob
I'd say its driver related, usually the sound card drivers. Either that or you've got too many devices sharing the same IRQ Number.

Taken from Microsoft.com...
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmd_stp_ottj.asp

Stop 0x000000D1 or DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

The Stop 0xD1 message indicates that the system attempted to access pageable memory using a kernel process IRQL that was too high. Drivers that have used improper addresses typically cause this error.
Interpreting the Message

This Stop message has four parameters:

1. Memory referenced.
2. IRQL at time of reference.
3. Type of access (0x00000000 = read operation, 0x00000001 = write operation).
4. Address that referenced memory.

Resolving the Problem

For additional troubleshooting suggestions that apply to all Stop errors, see "Stop Message Checklist" later in this appendix.

* Stop 0xD1 messages can occur after installing faulty drivers or system services. If a driver is listed by name, disable, remove, or roll back that driver to confirm that this resolves the error. If so, contact the manufacturer about a possible update. Using updated software is especially important for backup programs, multimedia applications, antivirus scanners, DVD playback, and CD mastering tools.

Elise/VX220/R26
I had that come up when I installed a sound driver, think what the last thing you installed was, go backin safe mode and uninstall it

Cheers for the links, heres my dilemma now!

When I first got the PC I got this crash message

So I found the file in the end, realtek site wasn't working! And now I'm left with the Uknown Device Driver issues, so if I roll back to the old drivers I'm going to go back to the original issues lol

Clio v6
Yup similar to what I read.

check the version of portcls.sys (XP SP2),
from KB888111 is 5.1.2600.1364 ( this fix came from realtek driver realtek_alc880_drv119

The Sound Manager is telling me that AC97 Audio Configuration is as follows (not sure if this is of any help but erm lol)

Audio Driver Version:

AC97 Codec:
ALC655

The RealTek site doesn't seem to offer an alternative, so that leaves me kind of in trouble? CAn I use somebody elses drivers, I'm guessing not! Cheers for the links Mole, afraid that test programme won't work with SP2 though..

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
format and start over? have u tried updating to most recent drivers? what have u actually done to try and correct the problem?

Its just come back formatted, I've run all windows updates, updated the Nvidia Graphics drivers and upgraded the AC Audio drivers, which I guess are now causing the problem, I can't roll the drivers back as the old ones were causing it to crash as well

Each time Counter Strike crashes apart from click Send Error report is there anyway to look into the problem myself to try and work it out..

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
so u had a full format, put on service pack 2, installed ur drivers from scratch and ur still having problems? thats sounds like a hardware issue to me...u have onbaord sound right?

yup thats the sittu and bloody Acer replaced the HDD twice, guessing they were kind of usless and have missed something, dodgy ram? sorry onboard sound? what like speakers in my screen etc?

Clio v6
Is the not a start up in diagnostic mode option, Yes/No to each driver? elimination sort of thing.

Clio v6
Safe Mode: Starts Windows with no network connections and without most of its drivers. Use this option to correct settings, remove programs or drivers, or fix network problems.

pressing the F8 key; On the Startup Menu, choose Safe Mode?

Cheers, whilst I'm there should I consider turning of caching and shadowing as recomended by the blue screen of death or will that cause problems/slow speeds etc?

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
the thing is this. i used to have exactly the same error, although this doesn't mean much due to the fact that it's a quite generic example./...it's to do with an irq conflict...which u might not even see in windows under hardware. basically i was running on board sound and then disabled it to run creative audigy platinum. basically the two weren't compatible.

by on board sound i mean the sound card is part of the motherboard. i don't know why acer would replace ur harddrive because thats definitely not the problem. Its probably the motherboard itself or if u have another sound card the two are conflciting. the fact that u need those 97 drivers sounds to me like ur installing onboard sounds to me...

500bhp Scoob
Why buy a new motherboard, when its no doubt the sound card...
I'm guessing its just a normal desktop pc, and not a laptop...

If so just buy a sound card, Official Soundblaster cards aren't that pricey, and offer better performance than using your onboard sound.

Or atleast find a friend who has a bit of knowledge and has a sound card you can borrow just to test, and see if that cures the problem.

Read my mind, was my next question. So can I just add a new sound card, disable the onboard one and rock n roll? will have to find one to borrow, already had a look and should be good for 30quid.. lets hope its that anyway!

Clio v6
Yes you can. I fitted a Soundblaster card in my girls PC and disabled the on board chip. Not sure but you might have to switch it off in the BIOS also ?

Spanner-in-the-works!

Just gonna give Acer an earfull, somebody from there e-mailed me earleir saying he could try and book it in for free again but had no reply so just gonna ring em monday.

Last edited: