ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tyre size.. 195 / 40 or 45 / 16 - does it make much difference? - Help

Focus st3 & t5.1 day
Sorry to ask sure its been covered but a quick search and im stuck...

Just took delivery of my new Turinis without tyres!

I have 195/45/16 budgets with around 4-5mm tread on my 182 wheels
I also have some 195/40/16 Toyo T1R's with 7mm+ tread on my old saxo 1.2's

Which tyres do i use?

dont really want to buy new tyres... so from the above please :)

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
40 toyos imo, it'll ride a little harsher but take toyo over budget tbh, even though i'm not a fan of the T1R's

MX5 NC 2.0 Sport
Personally i would buy some new decent tires in 195/45/16.
The toyo's can only be a good pair with these cars in the dry get them wet and you'll be pissing your pants whenever you press the gas pedal :(
Assuming your going to part with the 182 wheels, makes them easier to sell with tires.

The 195/40/16 tires are getting very rare, only a few brands still make this size, with the 45's there are dozens of options for very reasonable prices. I agree with Coops on the comfort side, def. going down.

Last edited:
  Focus st3 & t5.1 day
Just been to look at the tyres on the 182 wheels

All 195/45/16

2 x Goodyear egle F1's 3-4mm tread
1 x "Accelera"? 4-5mm tread
1 x "Athena SP-7"? 4-5mm tread

Or 4 x 195/40/16 T1R's with brand new tread...

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Hmm tough one really.

The eagle f1s even at 3mm will be better than the toyos.

But the other 2 tyres are rubbish.

What about selling the 195/40s and paying for 2 good 195/45s?

Clio 172 Cup 03 plat
Get Goodyear F1 gsd2 if you can, they apparently stopped making them recently but can still get them, I just got 4 for £333.30 full fitted fr 195/45/16 from national tyres.

Focus st3 & t5.1 day
Dont want to buy new tyres right now...

i used T1rs on the saxo for 3 years and cant fault them, just not sure about using 40 profile on the clio?

i dont push the car to its limits.. i just drive it and enjoy it... dont need Performance tyres.. wondering which is the best option from what i have already :D

Focus st3 & t5.1 day
Thats what i was thinking ^

not going slammed any time soon, but would like to go down a noticable height drop - 50-60mm maybe?

would love to go down 70mm or so but speed bumps in my road.. doesnt seem smart lol

Focus st3 & t5.1 day
Used the 45 profile tyres off the 182 wheels,

they look spot on, just need coilovers now!

IMAG1711.gif