ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tyre and side wall clearance on a Sport 172 left rear wheel?

Clio Sport 172
Tyre and side wall clearance on a Sport 172 left rear wheel?

Hi guy’s,

I am urgently seeking information with regard to the clearance of the inside of the tyre wall from the side of the trim inside the left rear wheel arch of my 2003 2L Clio Sport. The area in question is between roughly the twelve to about the three o’clock position of the wheel with the car resting on the ground.

I have Goodyear Eagle F1 195/50 ZR15 tyres fitted to the vehicle on the standard supplied wheel.

Reason for this question is that a few years ago while stationary in traffic I was hit on the right rear. Total damage resulted in the replacement off the spare wheel compartment, bumper bar, rear door and a new quarter panel. Although it all sounded a bit dramatic it was more cosmetic than severe structural damage. In Australia replacement of parts is an easer option than trying to repair things. I might add that the vehicle was perfectly driveable after the accident and driven for about 500km before it could be repaired.

As I am about to sell this vehicle a good mechanical check was required and while the vehicle was up on the hoist some rub marks about 40mm in length were noted in the area indicated above. The mechanic stated that he felt that the rear wheel was some how out of alignment due to the accident and that the tyre side wall was to close to the rear side wheel arch panel. The distance is roughly about 20mm it is very hard to measure and I stated that I believed that the distance was correct.

My reasons are based on the fact that the vehicle was driven after the accident and the rub damage was caused by the movement and realignment of the bumper bar to which the wheel arch in question is attached. It is obvious that these rub marks are old and show no indication of contact with the new tyre that was fitted about 10,000km ago. There is no obvious tyre ware except for a tyre of that age and the vehicle drives straight and true.

It is quite simple to replicate the action that caused these rub marks but in Australia to sell a vehicle you need what is called a Road Worthy Certificate (RWC) and yes I could go to some other mechanic but I might get pulled up with the same issue that is why I am trying to find an answer to this question as getting a RWC check costs money.

So hopefully someone may have the answer? I have also sent emails to the appropriate Renault dealer and their head office, they don’t seem all that interested.

Cheers,

Gray Ghost