ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Turbo Peeps

Well im almost at the point where a lot of hard work seems worthwhile...

Basicaly ive been helping in shoving a Turbo Technics kit onto a 1.8 8v Golf MK1, In brief we have taken a G60 engine from a MK2 Golf Rallie which is normally super-charged and along with this is also the G60 engine managment ECU etc...

Now most of the mechanical & electrical stuff is sorted, ecu wiring, oil feeds, actuator, intercooler, pipe work, exhaust manifold etc... But the question is what kind of problems can people advice me to expect??

My initial thoughs are the following:

That the fuel pump may not be sufficient, as its still the origonal MK1 1.8 8v fuel pump

If the fuel pump needs upgrading then is it fair to say a fuel pressure regulator is gonna be needed?

At the moment the plan is to run it at a similar boost to that of the origonal charger, or less which is around 0.7Bar, or 10psi; however to begin were running it as low as possible to be on the safe side!

Its gonna get the fueling MAP set up and rolling-road eventually for "big boost" fun & games but were hoping to get it running before this stage... :devilish:

Any comments welcome please, Cheers - Bri.

Lovely....got and pic of the kit as it will let me visualize the setup and routing and problems.

Firstly i need to know what management your running as he std MK1 gti runs a metering head with a metering arm dependant on airflow and i know TT kits, especially the old ones which utilize the OE fueling system.

But you mention the G6o engine, so i am assuming your using the digifant injection off that, if it runs digifant.

My only concerns is the mapping as this is what makes or kills a turbo engine.

The std fuel pump i would swap for a G60 item aswell as i dont know the flow rate of it. But you wont need to change the regulator, just make sure its one that is responsive to manifold pressure so the fuel pressure will rise with boost pressure.

Sorry mate no pics at the mo as its already together and in situ, were running the standard G60 managment which as you said is the digifant ECU, sensors etc.. and ive got all the loom wired up accordingly to work with everything else that we havent ripped out!

The 1st MAP will be that from the standard chip, havent a clue what the MAP is but if it worked for the charger im kinda hoping we can just fool it into thinking its still running the charger given that boost is set up to similar of that on the turbo...

What you think? Is it gonna be best to just get it on a RR straight away?

The regulator is a standard G60 piece but yea it is responsive to manifold pressure..

Excellent, then drive the car to a RR under closed loop running all the way then get it check on the RR, the exhaust gas analysis i mean.

I wouldnt go hooning about since supercharger and turbo compressor maps are totally different.

2005 Nissan Navara

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 11 May 2004

I wouldnt go hooning about since supercharger and turbo compressor maps are totally different.
my thoughts exactly. with a supercharger boost is more or less fixed at every speed/load site. turbo is not......