ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Toyo R1-R tyres - Impressed!

GSXR + KDX220
Anyone else using these? Or used them?

Ive had mine on now for around 500 miles and Im very impressed with them so far :)

Dry grip is very good, and sidewalls are pretty stiff but not SO stiff as per R888's, much quieter!
Im also very impressed with wet weather performance too for a more track orientated tyre.....although saying that Ive not tried them on track yet but I imagine performance will be good, but I guess they may overheat quicker?

But at £40 a corner less than R888's, not a bad option IMO :)

Last edited:
  clio 182, Citroen vts
I've just put them on recently as well, and love them. They feel alittle strange on Highways but cornering grip is awesome....

GSXR + KDX220
Not really "replaced", theres no comparison between the 2! They're more track orientated

clio 182, Citroen vts
How do you mean "strange"? In what way?

It's kind of hard to describe, but they don't seem to feel that comfortable cruizing straight at highway speeds. I also had Toyo T1-R in the past, which were great but nowhere as grippy

I'm torn between these and AD08s for my VX220. Both seem to be as good as each other really.

Or do I not bother and just get T1Rs lol!! Decisions!!!

Yeh I know. I had those on the Clio, and a set of 888s for track.

I'll only take the VX on track occasionally, so not sure if the 'track orientated' tyres are worth it.

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
I've got a set of R1-R's on my 172. They're superb on track especially once they get warm and the track is dry. I've taken them off for the winter as I'm not so sure they will give great traction on ice and snow as and when we get any. I've had two sets of T1-R's. Very good all round tyres but they don't last long.

Yeah, a mate of mine recommended them, but think I'm just going to go for ps3. He said I'll only get about 3 month out of r888?

Lotus Elise
R1-R replace the R888 when the new tyre regs come in iirc. The compound in very close to the trip 8's but they have a different design and more tread. A more road going R888 if you will.

ph1 172
My cup gripped best with the T1R's you have now, better than 15's with prada spec 2 and better than Uniroyal Rainsport 2's.

I can't push half as hard with the T1R's as I could with my old PE2's! They squeel like crazy and let go quicker. I really want to run some semi slicks on 15's for summer and in case I do some track work and PS3's for winter etc.

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
I had R1R's on mine last year. I did 2 track days on them and found them good, but not great. I think the first track day I did the tyres only had a few hundred miles under them and when they got hot, moved around on the tread a bit, but still had plenty of grip. Second track day when they were partly worn they faired much better, but the sidewalls are not the thickest.

Great road tyre, couldnt fault it at all even in moderate rain, definitely need some heat in them though.

mikes86

ClioSport Club Member
  182 track **** & MX5
Agreed with most of the comments in here, for a road tyre they are excellent, dry grip is better than performance road tyre (pe2, tr1, cs3 etc) and from what I can tell they were better in the wet too. They hold up pretty well on track too, not far off 888 grip, and fall off nicely, not suddenly. They only lasted about 10-15mins before overheating though. Currently sat in the garage having some 595RSR fitted as I wanted more grip! :evil: