ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Toshiba Regza LED series 42 inch ..this looks too cheap? am I missing something?

I'm just looking around for a 'cheapish' 42" Slim TV for the bedroom wall.. and checked out this LED on Play.com for £827.99 and then compared on Amazon, and its only £479.99, there arent any reviews so wondering if theres something wrong with this Tv? Its not the main TV so as long as its light weight and slimmer than most with a decent picture... this will do the job.. any reason not to buy this one?

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Ele...l-HD-1080p-100Hz-Freeview-LED-TV/Product.html#

same TV £350 less? (or there abouts)..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004DGJB4S/?tag=cliospnet01-21

Is this a good buy or am I missing something?

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
i bought a toshiba 40" regza lcd tv before xmas for £450. cant remember the model number

now its been replaced by an LG. the sound on it is truly awfull! and when i called comet to get one of their tech guys out the guy came in looked at the tv said "sound problems?" i said yes and he said yeah its all we ever get with the toshibas!
he also said the previous model to the one i bought had sound issues to so toshiba have done nothing to try and resolve the issue

so unless your sticking a surround sound system on it i would stay clear. picture is good on it in fairness but the sound lets it down quite a bit.

if your after a good v the tech guy did say he never gets any callouts on panasonics or LG's so that would probably be a good starting point

i bought a toshiba 40" regza lcd tv before xmas for £450. cant remember the model number

now its been replaced by an LG. the sound on it is truly awfull! and when i called comet to get one of their tech guys out the guy came in looked at the tv said "sound problems?" i said yes and he said yeah its all we ever get with the toshibas!
he also said the previous model to the one i bought had sound issues to so toshiba have done nothing to try and resolve the issue

so unless your sticking a surround sound system on it i would stay clear. picture is good on it in fairness but the sound lets it down quite a bit.

if your after a good v the tech guy did say he never gets any callouts on panasonics or LG's so that would probably be a good starting point

Thanks for your help J, this has decided it for me.. I'll go for the LG! I'm pleased I asked now ;)

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
no worries :) sorry i may have deplated your bank account more than you expected lol

i did hear from an LG tv rep in comet (the one that sold the LG to me when i went back to comet) that the regza link on the toshibas is very good tho. no idea what it does mind haha!

the user interface on the LG is 100000x better than he toshiba tho!

i would have kept the toshiba but the sound issue was annoying me that much i had to do something about it, but when the tech guy said there no cure i just had to get rid!

No, You've saved me money... the LG one is £10 cheaper ;) http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0043M66AO/?tag=cliospnet01-21 seems to good at that price.

Thats good to hear the user interface is good on the LG, thats quite important as well... the main TV is a Sony Bravia LCD which is great. I'm not familiar with other brands which is why I was unsure about either of these ones.

Looking forward to seeing how thin this is... I dont think the sound will be much of an issue as its not going in the living room but would be good if it doesnt need any extra speakers to enjoy it

thanks for the help :)

Another good point,

LG LED TVs are also more energy efficient so you will save 40% of power consumption compared to LCD TVs saving you up to £100 per year.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
and i know the 40 ish inch LGs have the same technology screens in them as the bigger ones which are top of the range badboys, so the Lgs are a good bet tbh

and i know the 40 ish inch LGs have the same technology screens in them as the bigger ones which are top of the range badboys, so the Lgs are a good bet tbh

Cool, thought I might as well go out and have a look at this LG one before I place my order on Amazon.. sounds like its a done deal though.. thanks again for the info.

dk

911 GTS Cab
LG stands for Lucky Goldstar, i don't to have to be lucky ;) Its funny, goldstar were a really bad name, then they changed to LG and bang goes the bad reputation.

All LCD's have bad sound, they aren't designed to be used with the inbuilt speakers, and the thinner the tvs get, the shitter the sound gets as the speakers have to be smaller.

If you are getting big HD tv, why would you want to run it with anything other than a 5.1 sound system, no point having such a good picture if the sound isn't as it should be too. 5.1. systems are dirt cheap too so theres no reason not to have one these days really.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
LG stands for Lucky Goldstar, i don't to have to be lucky ;) Its funny, goldstar were a really bad name, then they changed to LG and bang goes the bad reputation.

All LCD's have bad sound, they aren't designed to be used with the inbuilt speakers, and the thinner the tvs get, the shitter the sound gets as the speakers have to be smaller.

If you are getting big HD tv, why would you want to run it with anything other than a 5.1 sound system, no point having such a good picture if the sound isn't as it should be too. 5.1. systems are dirt cheap too so theres no reason not to have one these days really.

i do plan on getting a surround sound for it, but the sound was awfull it couldent be used in the interim. peoples voices were distorted and when i was playing GT5 as soon as any car went over about 3k rpm it would be a constant drone of vibration. so a change was in order anyway. the tech guy said it be better off changing too so for free i had a bigger tv (40 > 42) for the same price with better sound and picture only lost a hdmi port and a regza link. and i didnt even know what it did :p

well impressed with the LG.. went and had a look and looks equally as good as ones at twice the price, and the width of it is no fatter than my finger..super thin, perfect for a bedroom wall.. going to order one.

BMW E46 330i Touring
I've had my 32" Toshiba for 5+ years now and it's never missed a beat. The sound isn't fantastic for films, etc but is fine hooked up to some decent amplified speakers. As dk's said, I've yet to find a TV that has inbuilt sound that is good enough to stand alone anyway.

They're all much the same nowadays for the money - I think I'm right in saying that most manufacturers use the same few screen suppliers anyway?

I've had my 32" Toshiba for 5+ years now and it's never missed a beat. The sound isn't fantastic for films, etc but is fine hooked up to some decent amplified speakers. As dk's said, I've yet to find a TV that has inbuilt sound that is good enough to stand alone anyway.

They're all much the same nowadays for the money - I think I'm right in saying that most manufacturers use the same few screen suppliers anyway?

I liked the spec and look of the Toshiba, but I couldnt find a single review on the one I was thinking about.. and the LG seems to have a lot of good feedback. There's bound to be a couple of bad ones but the majority of the feedback was pretty good. Its good to hear your happy with yours and its not let you down. I'm really quite surprised at the price of these LED's I have listed being such good value.. if its for a reasonable sized bedroom its ideal with its slimness for wall mounting.. I did listen to it but you cant really tell how that will sound when its in the room, but it should be fine on its own.. I wont be cranking it up too much in there :)

BMW E46 330i Touring
Yeah the prices of TV's now make me want a new one! My brick of an LCD TV cost me the best part of a grand when I got it and looks prehistoric now!

Yeah the prices of TV's now make me want a new one! My brick of an LCD TV cost me the best part of a grand when I got it and looks prehistoric now!

Its crazy how fast things become out dated, I cant see them getting any thinner than they are now.. so think we should be safe for a while. I checked out a 3D TV playing Avatar, and it gave me a headache after 5 minutes, so wont be worrying about one of those.

My brother always likes to buy the latest tech, when the Plasma's 1st came out he was straight out to buy one.. it was only 36" and cost him £6000! (and he thought that was a good deal at the time lol) He replaces it every time something new comes out.. madness.