ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Timing belt and dephaser pulley.

Clio cup 172
and for those of you who've paid to get yours done. You stick to changing your discs and pads as a hobby. Leave the bigger jobs to us who can/know how to do them. And have the confidence to do these.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Okay. So you're saying every single mechanic failed all their exams in school? Incorrect.

No mate, just most, and if you did well at English in school then I assume you will be able to understand that "THE USUAL" doesnt mean the same as "THE ONLY" ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
and for those of you who've paid to get yours done. You stick to changing your discs and pads as a hobby. Leave the bigger jobs to us who can/know how to do them. And have the confidence to do these.

Some people who's hobby is working on cars get to do stuff that most people who have been a mechanic for 30 years have never done in their working life as if you are a mechanic you are stuck with doing what your boss or the customer wants you to do, where as a hobbyist you can do anything with cars you feel like learning to do :)

Clio cup 172
No mate, just most, and if you did well at English in school then I assume you will be able to understand that "THE USUAL" doesnt mean the same as "THE ONLY" ;)

as a matter of fact i did do well in english. But as a great interest of mine. I like working on cars, repairing, diagnosing and rectifying faults. Afterall. I'm only 20, and could easily change my career path completely if i wanted to.

Megane r26
Sorry, but it just makes me laugh when people think mechanics automatically understand lots about cars and how they work, most of them dont and are just part fitters and removers in reality.

Must be cause you didnt fail your exams that you managed to move on then mate, FLOL

I got to laugh chip, I must admit when I turned up for my first block of training with Volvo I felt over educated haha. Most the lads had rarely attended school an I sat there giving all me a-c grades out an they looked amazed haha.

I've since moved on up into rail, more money, better job security an hopefully going to be doing a hnc in electrical engineering so much better prospects.

Motor trades good but in my opinion unless you have your own outfit I think its hard to make money.

I rent a unit now with friends an as I work shifts I work on motors on the side. So I have the best of both worlds an do things more for pleasure an my own projects an interest

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
as a matter of fact i did do well in english. But as a great interest of mine. I like working on cars, repairing, diagnosing and rectifying faults. Afterall. I'm only 20, and could easily change my career path completely if i wanted to.

Well some people on this thread might say that based on how you are doing with cars currently, that's an opportunity you should take I'm sure, FLOL.

Clio cup 172
Well some people on this thread might say that based on how you are doing with cars currently, that's an opportunity you should take I'm sure, FLOL.
Well as for most forum users they just read what other people have experienced and believe almost everything anyone says on here..

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I got to laugh chip, I must admit when I turned up for my first block of training with Volvo I felt over educated haha. Most the lads had rarely attended school an I sat there giving all me a-c grades out an they looked amazed haha.

Lol, I can imagine.

I've since moved on up into rail, more money, better job security an hopefully going to be doing a hnc in electrical engineering so much better prospects.

Motor trades good but in my opinion unless you have your own outfit I think its hard to make money.

Hope it goes well mate :)
Plus now its not your job, you will probably enjoy it more as a hobby playing with your own cars.
Some of the jobs I have had that came from hobbies first have ended up making me not enjoy that hobby anymore.

I rent a unit now with friends an as I work shifts I work on motors on the side.

Cool, being able to fix cars is a great way to make a bit of money on the side alongside another career, I know a lot of people who do the same and because they are doing it only when they want to and only the jobs they want to take on, they take far more of an interest in what they are doing and work to a far higher standards than a lot of people who work in garages and have to do any job they are given.

Megane r26
Lol, I can imagine.

Hope it goes well mate :)
Plus now its not your job, you will probably enjoy it more as a hobby playing with your own cars.
Some of the jobs I have had that came from hobbies first have ended up making me not enjoy that hobby anymore.

Cool, being able to fix cars is a great way to make a bit of money on the side alongside another career, I know a lot of people who do the same and because they are doing it only when they want to and only the jobs they want to take on, they take far more of an interest in what they are doing and work to a far higher standards than a lot of people who work in garages and have to do any job they are given.

Yep your right there, I enjoy it so much more mate.

I only do the work I want to do an I get more time to look into detailed an complex jobs as I'm not rushing to try an make bonus haha.

Having the unit is great for storage too, an we got a four poster in there :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yep your right there, I enjoy it so much more mate.

I only do the work I want to do an I get more time to look into detailed an complex jobs as I'm not rushing to try an make bonus haha.

Having the unit is great for storage too, an we got a four poster in there :)

Crikey, ive seen people with couches and tvs etc in their workshop, but never have I seen anyone before go quite that far for sleeping arrangements!

design-collection-great-bed-of-ware-index.jpg

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
considering it idles perfectly and rolled 166.8 bhp the day after the belt was done i'm pretty sure the timing is in. I also do have a torque wrench thanks.. But however, i couldn't exactly torque it without the 'cam sprocket tool'. Now, which of you who've commented are actually mechanics?

8 years working on Aston Martins (the old stuff DB4s etc...) 4 years working on Porsche (the old stuff) and the last 11 years working as a Mechanical engineer for the "Financial Times" at there print site and yes i did the belts on my PH1 which made 171.8 on TDF rollers.

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
I've never done anything remotely related to mechanics at any point, I'm actually a storage software engineer for hewlett packard. Yet I've managed, with research from multiple sources (As with any good research you do) rebuild my PH1. The only thing I will really send to a garage is my gearbox.

While I agree there are many way's to do 1 job, the advised method is a method that has the highest accuracy when performed on multiple car's (As Renault's specifications and tool's) With something like timing, anything short of the most accurate just seems silly and something 99% of this forum will frown upon.

Lionel Richie
I keep forgetting dyno's are 100% accurate! Next you'll be telling us you used a laser cam locking tool

Clio 182 Titanium
NONE of the pulleys have keyways? so the big tool with teeth on is so you can fix the pulleys so you dont bend the cam locking tool when you torque the cam pulley bolts up? I can see why using an impact gun would be considered brave in that case!