ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thinking Va Va Voom ? But cant find the answers.

Ref

106 Gti - Sold
Hi,
Im new to the forum, and hope that you can help - because it seems that youre the biggest resource of CS information on the net.
A few years ago I used to own a 106 gti. Loved that car, and everytime I see one it brings back good memories. Anyway, lately Ive been thinking that maybe I should sell my current e39 ( since I drive alone most of the time ) and get some hot hatch.
And so I started thinking of the CS.

And Ive got a few questions, and hope that you can help with the answers to at least a few of them.

- What are the handling differences between the 172 and 182 - if any ?
Or is it just the same car with a 10 hp difference ?
- Being located in LHD land Clios are deffo more expensive than in the Isles.
5K euro for a 172 seems to be a good price, and the 182 start at twice that much.
Can I transform a 172 into a 182 by just changing the manifolds and getting a remap ?
Ive heard that those are the only differences between the two.
- Ive never been a fan of stock gearboxes. I get shivers down my spine every time I hear the words "Close ratio" - Are there any shorter FD's available for the clio ? If yes what are they ?
- Ive heard that the 172s have had some problems with fuel pressure affecting the cars power - is that true or false ? If its true can this issue be sorted by getting a Walbro fuel pump ?
- Cams/Remaps/Decats/Intakes - 220bhp - are figures like that possible ?

More questions will probably appear later ;)

And the most imporant one..

If Im looking for something slightly raw, reliable and deserving to be called an "Anti Boredom Assistant" - is Clio the right choice ?

Hope you can help, and please have in mind Im a newb - so Im sorry if this isnt the right section.

All comments, suggestions, worth reading URLs welcome.
Cheers,

:eek:

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Welcome mate, first if you are seriously thinking about making the purchase, join up to become a member. its so much more helpful for queries and information.

The performance between the 172/172 Cup , 182/182 Cup are very marginal, in a straight line/through corners there really isnt anything in it, ive owned a 172 and 182 and the performance is no different (in my opinion)

As per modifications, getting a true 220bhp isnt cheap although do-able, personally i dont see how it can be done without te aid of a super/turbo charger but thats my own thought chain. The weakspots on the Renault Sport Clios as anyone will tell you are the exhausts which is why so many are now aftermarket, they seem to suffer from coil pack failure but on the whole generally reliable, just frustrating if they do go wrong...

Hope this helps a little!

Hyundai i40
Get one there great fun to drive, no matter where u drive them

great MPG too for that they are

Thought about travelling to get a car?

Ref

106 Gti - Sold
Traveling ? What do you mean by that ? :)
Ive been thinking about getting a 182 in the Isles and then swaping the steering wheel and other bits n pieces maybe. So far Im just doing some "research" and Ill see where that leads me. As you can see from my registration date Ive already been looking for "know-how" but that was a long while back, and now Im more focused on the CS.

A ANIMAL
1st of all - not really anypoint in doing the manifold. a pointless expense to gain literally nothing. Have a poo before you leave to make up the difference.

220 bhp as said is do-able but you need ITB's or to charge it. You'll need c £5000 to do it properly.

But in short you can't have more fun for less money.

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
1st of all - not really anypoint in doing the manifold. a pointless expense to gain literally nothing. Have a poo before you leave to make up the difference.

220 bhp as said is do-able but you need ITB's or to charge it. You'll need c £5000 to do it properly.

But in short you can't have more fun for less money.

Until you spend £5,000 on charging or turbo'ing it.

Wrong car to tune.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Hi Ref,

I assume you are comparing the ph2 172 / 182. Not the ph1 172 (buble headlights). There are suspension difference between the 172 in dampers and spring rates IIRC. If you are thinking of modifying anyway, and 182's are that much more expensive it may be best to by a 172 and get ahold of some decent coilovers. The problems you mention are new to me but others may be able to advise.

the 172 and 182 is actually PS not BHP. The 10 PS difference is from a difference in manifold / cat / and map.

The 182 has more toys and a better fit and finish than the 172, but it sound to me as those these are not important to you!

as mentioned above 220bhp is possible and without going the super/turbo route. But it is very expensive!

Fiesta ST Stage 3
220 BHP will cost a lot on this engine . If you want power / straight line speed buy another car .

Ref

106 Gti - Sold
What about swaping the steering wheel right/left ?
Is the dash/gauge cluster the same as in other clios ( not necessarily CSs ) ?