ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thinking of an upgrade.

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
I am thinking of upgrading my PC as the newer batch of games are starting to challenge it some what.
The current specs are as follows, what do you recommend I purchase to upgrade this pc?

Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-M Pro
CPU: Intel i5-2400 @ 3.10GHz Socket LGA1155 (SandyBridge)
Memory: A mix of... 2x Adata DDR3 667MHz size 4096 MB
2X Hynix DDR3 667MHz size 2048MB

(I noticed on the memory the two different makes run different timing)

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 6870 1024MB GDDR5
Audio: Onboard
PSU: Alienware Molex 850W

What should I change to get it a little quicker. I was thinking CPU, Memory and GPU. Think the rest can hold its own?

Your processor is fine don't bother - I'd get some matched RAM - get a CPU cooler and overclock it, you can easily hit 4ghz and that'll sort that out.

For a GPU upgrade you've only got 1gb VRAM so that's the lacking thing, get a 7950 for about £250 with a decent cooler and you're sorted, believe they have 2gb VRAM which will be a lot better (if you have more to spend look at something with more VRAM).

Check out the "AMD Never Settle" bundle - the decent cards are coming with 3 top games atm!

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
Your processor is fine don't bother - I'd get some matched RAM - get a CPU cooler and overclock it, you can easily hit 4ghz and that'll sort that out.

For a GPU upgrade you've only got 1gb VRAM so that's the lacking thing, get a 7950 for about £250 with a decent cooler and you're sorted, believe they have 2gb VRAM which will be a lot better (if you have more to spend look at something with more VRAM).

Check out the "AMD Never Settle" bundle - the decent cards are coming with 3 top games atm!

http://www.mycom.nl/Product/Componenten-Videokaart/Sapphire-Radeon-HD7950-Boost,3GB/1366340

Hows about that? Been recommended to get a GTX660 but they are over budget as I am getting 16gig kit of corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz.