ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The truth about lowering a 16v !

Ive just purchased a set of 15s and want to lower my valver as much as is safe without any risks.

Some say have the back higher than front, vice versa or only 35mm all round.

Somebody please advise me as i dont want my pants pulled down by a garage who only know one way! (i.e. one guy said "well ive lowered a guys clio 35mm all round and everything was fine so thats all i do"!)

YOU GUYS MUST KNOW BEST!

Trophy

D17OND,

Nick Hill will say that the back end has to slightly higher than the front for optimum handling.

If your down that way ive heard good things about Torsion Tuning 07951 021672.

Mat.

This is an extract from Fast Car magazine (best one out there)

The whole F.U.K (Fast Car UK) market is getting a bit dimensionally demented at the moment. 17s were once considered the ticket to Daddiesville, but theyre par for the course now, especially with people now hitting the 20-inch mummas. Where does this leave Clio 16V owners, though? The french hatches are known for having arches tighter than a nuns furry box, but heres the deal...

Stock ride height:
Any wheel up to and including 16-inchs will go on without arch mods. 17s require removal of rear arch liners, a 37mm offset and the skimpiest tyres you can find. 18s will go, but may require minor work to rear outer arches and minor scuffing may be found on the fronts at full lock. Anything above 18s will require arch mods front and rear, pluss coil-over suspension to prevent fouling of the spring cups.

Lowered:
Anything up to and including 16-inches will go on, as long as the tyres used give the correct rolling radius. 17s will require minor arch mods at rear, especially if car is loaded (with ice, beer or mates). 18s will need rear outer arches to be modified. Fronts may experience scrub on full lock. Excessive cases may require may require re-fabrication of plastic front arches. Coil-over suspensio is recommended on 18s to prevent fouling. Anything above 18s will definitely require arch mods front and rear and coil overs.

Bugger that doesnt answer your question, but i wrote it now so its staying.

This one guy in here had 18s on and had his lowered. Doesnt say, as far as i can see, how far he has it lowered. But the average drop is 30mm. So if he can drop on 18s with a 30mm i think you can afford about 35-45 all around. But i havent had it done, so dont take my word for it.

Right i am going to go and have a rest now.

paul

Thanks mate i appreciate the effort despite being a fellow fast car reader and reading that earlier. Sorry! Its just im getting confused as there are so many options and opinions!

And i want it as low as possible cos i could only afford 15s so there is a bit of arch i need to dissapear into the tarmac.

1, the way id see it is your car is set to run at the angle its at when it was built so surley thats its best angle so keep the drop exactly the same front and rear. 35mm is good 50-60 mm will go but heard it causes strain on drive and bits, plus youd have to do shocks and springs.

2, see nick bout the wheel size hes lowered 35mm all round and rinding on sweet 18s!!

Mate i have got mine lowered 35mm at front and the back is dropped till the sills are parrellel with the ground. Because of this it looks the tits but it is best to keep the angles as close to renaults originals.

I am running on 17s and it is dropped on just springs and it doesnt rub at all, so i think you could drop it up to 60mm. I personally would go for 50mm.

My job was done by Torsion Tuning and it was superb (a lot better than previous jobs i have had done at r-tech and Extreme.

Give them a call and they will sort you out as well as telling you whats what.

Kev

Dont know where Fast car got the bit about 16v arches being tight - thats a downright lie!!! Maybe they had the regular Clio in mind.

I had my car lowered the other week and went for -35mm on the front and -20/25mm on the back. Its ace now. I kept the 16/205/45 wheels that were on the car when i bought it and theres no rubbing.

I did -40mm and -80mm on my last Clio (non 16v) and it rubbed like crazy and was generally a bit poo in the handling department. You soon come to learn that hanling isnt just about grip...

BMW 320d Sport

An RT can go way lower than a 16v because its so high off the ground to start off with. Forget random numbers and look at your car - for best looks and handling you want it so the tops of the tyres are just level or slightly inside the top of the arches.

The Fast car thing is a bit out...mine took 18s on a 35mm drop all round, rear is no problem at all, fronts were a big problem - sh*t guards had to go, the outer wing had to be chopped away by about half an inch, sections had to be cut out of the metal inner wing and the top of the tyre is running about 4mm from the spring platform on the strut. WOrth it though, and it drives fine. Anyone going to Donny on Saturday can have a look at it.

just saw em there,very nice,they look massive and the car doesnt seem to sit too high either,nice one.what offset are they nick?