ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The perfect PC kit?

Cupra
I am just about to order a PC from the USA and was wondering what peoples recomendations were for "extras" whilst the price is so good.

I have major swirl removal to do on my car so will be getting the 4 inch pads aswell as the Sonus pads which come with the PC.

What are the best polishes to use? They have megs 83 in stock but no 80... are the sonus polishes just as good?

I have done a search but everybody seems to have a different preference... I thought that I would try and collect a few ideas in one thread!

Thanks for the input.
Andy

106 GTi
As you have said 4 inch pads are a must.

I always suggest at least one of each grade pad in both sizes.

2 of each full sized Light Cut, Polishing and Finishing Pads

2 of each 4inch Spot Light Cut, Polishing and Finishing Pads

Aside from the PC's the Autopia stock of other products is a little limited these days, which limits your polish choices. Personally I like Megs 80 but have never been a fan of the 83. Polishes wise I would go with the Menzerna Range - Intensive Polish and Final Finish(s)

Fiat Coupe 20vt
Sonus are also going to be realeasing a uprated 240v CE marked version of the Porter Cable the 'Ultimate Detailing Machine' which has improved internals for more power and will have less vibration which is a real problem with the current Porter cable.

Not only will it mean there is no longer a need to lug a transformer about, but also no more chopping off plugs and messing with wiring.

I'm working with Sonus in releasing these in the UK and a rough date for completeion is June. The polishers themselves will be roughly the same price as you'd expect to pay for a PC (probably slightly cheaper) but most importantly no need for a transformer and will be backed by a full year or optional 5 year warranty and be stocked and supplied from the UK.

106 GTi
Sounds good Tim - esp, the better power, interesting to see how the vibration is cut down as I always thought that was a side effect of it being random orbital.

The price I take it will be akin to UK sold PC rather than what it would cost to import a PC from the states myself?

Fiat Coupe 20vt
Hi Rich, the machine has less vibration as it has better bearings, a larger counter weight system and heavier case. The machines are still in a prototype stage and hopefully I should have some pre-release machines ready for a full trial next week.

I'm seeing if i can get a few for other people to trial.

The price should be very similar to what you can buy them in the US for. Obviously in the rip off UK there is VAT and duty to add though :( It would be unrealistic to set the pricing at the current exchange rate of $2 to £1 as that will not last. Hopefully once final costings are in it will be possible to set a realistic long term price for the machines.

Cupra
Tim/cleanyourcar - Sounds very interesting...is the June completion date realistic? I can happily wait a month but would like to get started before the summer is over.

Rich - Does the PC suffer from a lack of power and extreme vibration? Or is it more a case of as soon as there is an alternative, the previous version suddenly isn't as good as it always has been? The current one has been around for about ten years from what I have read so it must be time for an update!

Cheers, Andy

106 GTi
Nice one Tim - does sound good.

The PC does not have a lack of power, it just does not have the same amount of bite as a rotary, like everything there is the occasional time you wish it had a tad more.

Not ever had any real vibration problems others have talked about. I have always found carefully centering pads carefully leaves it fine for me. But go from a PC to a Rotary machine after and you will notice the small vibrations the Porter Cable does have.

After seeing what Tim has annocunced I would possibly hold fire and see what arrives if you are not desperate.

Cupra
The trouble is that once I have something in my mind... I have to go through with it.

Have just placed my order with a nice 15% dicsount.. thanks 182_blue! Roll on next weekend. At least I can practise on the wifes car first as the body work and paint is really bad already so anything I manage to do can only be an improvement.

you wont regret it Dutch, the new machine will take a while and were not really sure how it will perform yet

Detailer.gif

Mito Sportiva 135
Yeh thanks for the help on ordering my PC kit too mate. Got a really good deal with the weak dollar at the moment, £113 with a set of pads and Sonus paint cleaner fully delivered to my door in 4 days.

just trying to make you feel better Dutch, oh and i will tell you what the new one is like when i get mine in the next week or so ;-)

Mito Sportiva 135
just trying to make you feel better Dutch, oh and i will tell you what the new one is like when i get mine in the next week or so ;-)

Typical, I wait a year to buy a PC because of the hassle of ordering from overseas and all the extra bits, then they bring out a UK spec one :rolleyes:

Cupra
Whever you draw a line, there will always be people on either side of it. :)

I will still be curious to know how the new one goes...... as long as I dont get stung for import duty, I wont mind!

Mito Sportiva 135

I will still be curious to know how the new one goes...... as long as I dont get stung for import duty, I wont mind!

Yeh I know, just annoying! I didn't get hit on import tax, think you will be fine!

you wont regret it Dutch, the new machine will take a while and were not really sure how it will perform yet

Detailer.gif

LOL - I doubt it is going to perform worse though!

you should be fine with the duty mate, and when i get my hands on the new machine i will post up a little review

Cupra
Woohoo, it arrived! Just have to wait for the transformer and then this weekend will be a busy one!

img6456as4.jpg

RB 182
Whoa! that looks like a cleaning dream :) How much did all of that set you back DutchRS? If you dont mind me asking :)

ITB BG 182
i think ill be giving some one a shout some time veryy... soon about 4" pads for the 7424 thingy.
I know its sad but i would like to know whats best to have for swirl removal an if its available in a set or pack an then also whats best wax wise and other things to have as its my 25th next week an all my family + mates dont know what to get me and wont stop bugging me till they know which is hard as even i dont flipping know.
Helppp...... Some one please

Cupra
Ordered on a Friday and it arrived on the Thursday.. would have been Wednesday but I was out so they could not deliver.

Black Gold with cup packs
I wouldn't mind knowing how to use these bloody things. I get a gleaming clean with my good old right and left. But what will this thing acheive that the better than average human being cannot?
OR are these things for the cleaner who likes to use a toothbrush to fine clean his alloywheels?

Cupra
The PC removes scratches, swirls and defects that cannot be removed by hand.. apparently. I am still waiting for the transformer before I can use mine!

106 GTi
I wouldn't mind knowing how to use these bloody things. I get a gleaming clean with my good old right and left. But what will this thing acheive that the better than average human being cannot?
OR are these things for the cleaner who likes to use a toothbrush to fine clean his alloywheels?

Even on swirl and defect fee paint you will get a higher gloss to the paint than you can get by hand.

ITB BG 182
plus when your doing vechicals like landrovers its makes the job a shed load easier, i clean my landrover yesterday and it took 2 hours for a polish and wax with the PC when usually it would take me 3 to possibly 4 hours by hand and i would still not have achieved as good of result.