ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The E46 M3 Vert

Range Rover Sport
After seeing 'Tommy's' E46 M3 thread I thought I'd post a few pictures of mine.

Steel Grey with black interior ( Steel grey is a pretty rare colour, especially in hairdresser spec ).

Although a marmite option I opted for the SMG II as I always wanted one after my parents had SMG in 2003. I find it offers 2 options in one. Super quick gear changes for that spirited drive but such a lazy car to drive around town with the paddles. Traction off and option 6 can be a hand full!

The idea was to improve aspects of the car which I thought would benefit the already good package you get with these.

Firstly it was to swap the current OEM springs to H&R's. The vert tends to sit lower than the coupe due to the added weight. The OEM springs tend to break pretty often and not uncommon to break after 3000 miles so this was one of the first things on the list. The handling has improved although the H&R's have made it a little more 'firm' lets say.

Next up was a service and valve adjustment, often over looked but a must for E46 owners. Transformed how the car drove and sounded. Not cheap to run and maintain hence why there are a lot of bad ones about now.

I wasn't a fan of the wheels, so I swapped them over to some black VMR's. They lasted all of 20 minutes on the car before I sold them on. The grey exterior and the black wheels just clashed and from then on I actually started to like the current wheels so they stayed. Not a great fan of the OEM 19" unless they are polished however like I say the current wheels started to grow on me.

Also they have TPI wheel spacers on the front and rear to help aid the stance of the car. I've been meaning to swap the brake pads over as out the box the E46 M3 braking isn't the best for a 343bhp car. I was thinking about swapping the 'BMW Performance' callipers with CSL discs however I then bought the Clio and all spare funds are being spent on that.

2v9acdd.jpg

290u42v.jpg

292bfde.jpg

Before the H&R springs were fitted.

2cid6ix.jpg

Edited pictures.

dlpdh1.jpg

nbc3gk.png

Last edited:

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Thats a nice looking car, however at a glance i did think it was a 330i due to the wheels (i know their the e92 M3 items but at a glance!)

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I've got a urge for a M3 at the moment and these threads on CS are not helping..lol

Range Rover Sport
Thats a nice looking car, however at a glance i did think it was a 330i due to the wheels (i know their the e92 M3 items but at a glance!)

Yes I thought that when I first bought the car but they do grow on you.....honest.

I am a fan of the M3 having huge concave wheels though!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Yeah they look pretty good - they supposedly handle far better on 18's though? I suppose that could be said about most cars!

Range Rover Sport
Yeah they look pretty good - they supposedly handle far better on 18's though? I suppose that could be said about most cars!

You are correct, 18" wheels are meant to drive superior to the 19".

The car must be lowered to pull the 18" OEM wheels off though I believe.

The reason for keeping with the 19" for me is that I don't tend to drive the car any where close to the limits if that was the case I may have opted for the coupe. Its more of a relaxing summer car for me.

Would you believe I have more fun driving the Clio!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Convertibles tend to feel less 'poised' when the roof's removed due to lack of structural rigidity!

If you're not driving it at 10/10ths you'll most likely not notice it!

Range Rover Sport
Not that you'd notice on the road, even fast road driving. I'm sure a coupe would be more 'focused' on a track (mod for mod).

With the H&R's the car does handle pretty well!

An orange one
My old m3 vert was a great posing tool! Although I did get called various names around town more than once lol

Range Rover Sport
When you see some guy driving around in one, you just think to yourself.

What a ****

Could be worse, could be driving around in a Clio thinking its a sports car lol.

Joking aside, cant say I really get any bad comments. I think when people see me that's enough in itself let alone giving me a hard time about a vert!

I think it looks mint!! I too thought that it was a 330 till I realised it has the E92/93 wheels on it.
One thing, I'm not a fan of the small font number plates, normal looks better.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Could be worse, could be driving around in a Clio thinking its a sports car lol.

Joking aside, cant say I really get any bad comments. I think when people see me that's enough in itself let alone giving me a hard time about a vert!

Haha. Aye, driving around in a renault clio with a very loud exhaust, people probably say the same about me :p

Nice car all the same. Actually prefer those wheels to the standard ones.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
First of all thats a nice looking car,ill not take anything away from you.....

However the way it sits its just crying out for CSL rims.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Nice car.

Shame you call it a 'vert'.

You have just lost 8 million man points.

Range Rover Sport
Nice car.

Shame you call it a 'vert'.

You have just lost 8 million man points.

Don't worry I call the Clio a lot worse at times lol.

Next on the list was some CSL wheels but with the Clio project I can't really spend on both so the Clio has taken priority.

Man points, depending who you ask I didn't have much in the first place driving a convertible.

182 Cup/Mk5 Gti
Gorgeous mate. Really nice example! Get some Preformance friction pads like I've got there awesome!

Range Rover Sport
Thanks guys.

Can't say I'm a huge fan of PF, saying that two house bricks would be better than the OEM pads lol.

Wheels & brakes will be sorted over the winter period but not just yet.

Clio 172 + 172 cup
If we are doing pictures of M3s, here is mine. Titan silver with black leather.

M3outside_zps8bc4be26.jpg

I had never heard the term 'vert' until I joined M3cutters.

MC

Range Rover Sport
Some of those pictures were taken near T6 ( Toll ).

Thanks for the comments. Needs a good detail soon so will post more pictures then.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I just cannot like the E46 convertible shape. I don't know what it is, they look like a much lower spec model for some reason.

Good colour though.