ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The 1k camera question...

Time to upgrade my kit as I want to start making more money next year.

Last year I was taking pics at horse shows using a trusty Olympus E-620 and 40-150mm lens. Nought special, but the pics came out very well and I sold quite a few (www.jayx2aphotography.com - pics).

Want to up my game a little next season, so looking for advice on what to get. If I sell my G3 I reckon I could have around £1100 max.

FPS is not a huge issue as I usually track and pull out single shot pics anyway.

Budget wise I am looking at kit lenses to start out with (and maybe a prime - but looking at prices this may not be possible).

Was looking at the D7000 with 18-105 or 60D with either 15-85 or 18-135.

Any suggestions and opinions very much welcome.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I'd get a 60d body only and a used 17-40mm L lens, might need slightly more than £1k but not a lot more

2.2 bar shed.
Seeing as your budgets limited I'd say stay crop for the extra effective range. 60D + 70 - 200?

Oil Burner
I would save some more cash.

Then look at a 60d and a 70-200F4 or Sigma 100-300F4

Nikon might be a good shout if they replace the D300/700 soon. Should drop the price a fair bit. The D300 is a very capable camera.

Same question I am currently pondering.

If you wish to pixel peep then the Pentax and Nikon are nigh on neck and neck, the Canons sensor is somewhat behind, not much better than micro four thirds!

From your list the Pentax is weather proofed, has in body image stabilisation and in body autofocus (as may the others) and has a great choice of primes, especially their Limited series glass. Not knocking the other two makes but want to big up the Pentax as this forum is blinded by Canon or Nikon ONLY!! There are other choices ;)

The Pentax is regarded by DXO mark as the 'best' APS-C DSLR.

personally I may go for the Sony A65/A77. Amateur photographer recently reviewed this very well, even better than than the 'hallowed' 7D!

messagebox_warning2.png
Pentax K-5

vignette2.jpg

DxOMark Sensor Scores
Overall Score
[?]
Portrait
(Color Depth)
[?]
23.7 bits
Landscape
(Dynamic Range)
[?]
14.1 Evs
Sports
(Low-Light ISO)
[?]
1162 ISO

logo.jpg

Nikon D7000

vignette2.jpg

DxOMark Sensor Scores
Overall Score
[?]
Portrait
(Color Depth)
[?]
23.5 bits
Landscape
(Dynamic Range)
[?]
13.9 Evs
Sports
(Low-Light ISO)
[?]
1167 ISO

logo.jpg

Canon EOS 60D

vignette2.jpg

DxOMark Sensor Scores
Overall Score
[?]
Portrait
(Color Depth)
[?]
22.2 bits
Landscape
(Dynamic Range)
[?]
11.5 Evs
Sports
(Low-Light ISO)
[?]
813 ISO

logo.jpg

Oil Burner
The catch with every brand except Canon is that there is really no branded 'prosumer' glass.

Canon has the 70-200L f4is/70-200L, f2.8 300L, f4is 17-40f4L

All lenses that are relatively cheap to purchase and have healthy stocks on the used market.
Nikon glass is less common used and is more expensive when you find it as they only largely have consumer and pro glass.

If Sony glass was cheaper i would of switched ages ago. But for the pretty low value of my glass i could barely buy a 70-200 2.8 in minolta/sony fitment.

Yes you can use Sigma, and I'm a big fan of Sigma glass. But it is cheap for a reason.

If only Canon would pull their finger out of their arses and produce some decent sensors.

Last edited:
Handled the Pentax at lunch - pretty impressive TBH! D7000 was a close 2nd but wasn't a big fan of the Canon in hand. Not knocking the 60D, but its just not for me.

So comes down to two... ahh decisions!

I watched that vid but that guy creams over Nikon all the time! Most other reviews have the Pentax equal or better.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I'd avoid the Pentax, the lack of decent lenses secondhand and the high prices of new lenses made me sell mine. That and it was quite hard to use as a noob.

Stick to the big 2 names imo

I'd avoid the Pentax, the lack of decent lenses secondhand and the high prices of new lenses made me sell mine. That and it was quite hard to use as a noob.

Stick to the big 2 names imo

I'm not a noob and looking for something with that bit more oomph! The K5 feels so good in the hand - small and solid and weather sealed too!! Im off to Park Cameras tomorrow where decisions will be made! Plenty of 2nd hand lenses for Pentax. I know Nikon has loads more and cheaper, but the K5 is a great body!

Probably end up coming out with the 60d or something randomly different lol!

Last edited:
Pentax certaintly isn't short on quality lenses, whilst it doesn't have the sheer number of lenses of the most popular two, its a mature system with lenses for every application. Will be interested to hear your thoughts jj, the lack of a tilting lcd is putting me off. Odd thing I know but I do a lot of waist and floor level shots!

Right, I'm back from Park Cameras with a decision made!

All three choices have excellent features and IQ, my decision was going to be made mainly on handling as I know each system had a range of lenses suited to me.

In 3rd place... the Canon.. only one with a plastic body and felt heavier than the others! Also, was wider and not easy to hold (for me anyway). Just was not for me.

2nd... the D7000... amazing spec, built like a tank, but the body is just all wrong! The grip at the front just was not deep enough for such a heavy bulky camera. Didnt feel comfortable at all the hold/

1st... the pentax.. built like a tank, weather proof and compact. Lovely grip too, felt easy in the hand and just perfect. 7fps was a winner too.

Will be on order after payday!

First shot from camera - all standard settings.

Indoors, F4.5, ISO 3200. Impressed with the ISO performance and the fact that I can get indoor shots with a slow lens. So looking forward to getting a prime on this body!

6347809479_e26edc277b_b.jpg

You went for the pentax? Brave, hope you enjoy it regardless though!

Brave maybe, but it just handled so much better than the others in my hands anyway! Plus 7FPS and a few other features won me over! Plenty of lenses out there inc many golden oldies! Some of the primes are very affordable too!

One of the only Crop SLR's to get a DP review Gold Award too!

You're not just buying a DSLR though are you? You're buying into a system no?

Indeed, but Pentax have some of the best quality primes avaliable ranging from £130 for the new models and you can pick up any lenses from the 1950's onwards! They do fast telephotos and Sigma/Tamron both do versions of there f2.8 lenses etc.

Granted, Nikon and Canon have more, but there is enough out there to make a complete system.

I can see why people would choose Nikon or Canon over Pentax, but I do recommend anyone to go try the K5 if your looking at this kind of budget.

You're not just buying a DSLR though are you? You're buying into a system no?

Yes and a system that's not short on plentiful lenses of stunning quality. Just because it's not badged canikon doesn't make it shite. The highly regarded reviews of the k5 never refer to a lack of lenses.

2.2 bar shed.
Yes and a system that's not short on plentiful lenses of stunning quality. Just because it's not badged canikon doesn't make it s**te. The highly regarded reviews of the k5 never refer to a lack of lenses.

Im not sayings its shite ffs. Main thing pentax is missing imo is a decent radio trigger/wireless flash system. Regardless im out, im not here to gearfag and am certainly not here to compare DxO scores.