ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tappets

cos my car is pretty old now there is a tapping noise from the engine been told its the tappets, spoke to various different people about this but no one seems to be able to do it as there not sure wether they are hydraulic or adjustable, does ne body know its a 1993 1.4 rt anybody else have or had this problem??

Theyre adjustable mate. A few people on RSc have adjusted them themselves with no problems. Speak to Brun.

Ben

Skoda Fabia vRS

me :)

i did my own a few weeks ago, go to Halfords and buy a set of feeler blades, and a new rocker cover gasket, both should cost less than a tenner IIRC

also if you havent got one already get yourself a Haynes manual, its like a bible only better !

and just in case, the flywheel is on the passenger side hehe :oops: i got a bit confused doing mine

read this thread over on RSC and it should answer all your questions

http://www.renaultsportsclub.co.uk/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2581http://www.renaultsportsclub.co.uk/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2581

excellent just looked at that makes it sound well easy going to give it a go on saturday, does it sort out the crappy tapping noise totally or just carm it down abit! thanks for the advice though

Skoda Fabia vRS

well it will at very least calm it down, but mines totally silent now

as your dealing with very fine tolerances, make sure you get em nice an tight against the feeler blade before you lock it up, so you can just about get the feeler blade out without damaging it, but not so it slides out very easily

oh an if you have room give em all a splash of oil before you refit the rocker cover

Feeler blades should slip around with a bit of resistance, but you should not need force to move them about, they will be too tight and wont leave enough clearance for the valves... = wear.

Do it when the engine is STONE cold.

very easy job, and tip....instead of moving the crank via a spanner, stick the car in gear, take the pugs out and push the car back and forward to close teh right valve.

Skoda Fabia vRS

or jack the car up on one side like i did, stick it in 4th an rotate the wheel, clockwise ONLY !

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Hydrolic tappets 1 thinks. Am i right?

Try hydrolic valve treatment from Halfords; still got my bottle but waiting for oil level to drop so i can put it in. Hopefully should lower the volume on them; especially when cold!

you cant adj 16V hydraulic tappets, they jsut tap when worn, Its dead simple to change them and i dont think any miracle cure in a bottle will do much.

Even if it quietens them down, the problem of worn tappets is still there.

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

The only problem with worn tappets is that they make a noise IMO, so hopefully the bottle will solve the problem. ;)

Oil does go near the valves doesnt it?