ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tape Drive Device Drivers/Windows XP

Ive got a HP SureStore DAT40 tape drive, running through an adaptec card in my machine here at home (scsi), basically as i want to move data off a server, then back onto it once ive rebuilt it...........

I cant be bothered messing round getting the tape drive running on the server (linux/ubuntu) so i thought easy enough, windows will do with the NTBackup software (as ive used on other servers).

The tape drive is fine, runs on another server i manage for someone else fine.

Problem is, im running a cut down version of XP on here, and luck be have it, the device drivers built into XP (full version) for tape drives have been removed. Ive installed the HP drivers, but im still getting an error about device drivers missing (Which im guessing are Windows XP device drivers)

Ive spent the best part of 3 hours looking which files windows XP comes with that run the Tape Drive support.....drawn a complete blank.

Does anyone know what files windows relies on for tape drive support? Or is anyone running a tape drive...? If so, could you go into device manager and see what system files it is using in the driver details please?

Cheers.

dk

911 GTS Cab
how is it connected, via a SCSI card? If so, you also need the SCSI drivers too.

You can install HP L&TT (Library and tape tools) to see if that can detect the problem.

Or install a proper backup program as that will use its own drivers, you can install BE12 in trial format for something like 60 days i think, or download HP's Data Protector Express, think thats single server backup for free.

SCSI card yes, Adaptec Ultra Wide SCSI Adaptor or something, PCI. EDIT: AHA-2940UW

Edit: Yeah installed the above earlier :(

Cards installed fine, recognised and working in device manager. The HP Library/Tape Tools and HP SureStore driver kit are both installed also. The Tape drive appears in device manager, under the correct name, but has a yellow '!' over it, and the problem is described as:

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.
I think this may be something to do with me running a cut down version of XP, that has had the original tape drive support stripped out of it. I basically need to find the files that were there originally, before it was stripped, so i can put them back and hopefully get it to work.

I tried another 3rd party program, Tapeworks, dosent seem to want to play ball either. I think its due to the system files being missing :(

Got a spare hd? by the time youve pissed about trying to get it working u could probably have installed a fresh full copy of xp and got it working.

Probably wont work but worth a shot.. tried windows update? (custom scan) they usually have xp signed drivers.

Better than yours. C*nt.
You need to install the Removable media support (think it's called something like that!) in the Windows Components Wizard.

edit - my bad - Don't think XP supports it, it's only featured in W2k3...