ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sub boxs

ICE'dberg MK2 172

I want to build my own box so as to use the space in the left of the boot but as most of you know its an odd shape. If I made an odd shaped box would it work as long as the volume (space in side) was OK for the sub.

Also would an arse out sub work on any box, seems a shame to hide a nicely chromed sub chassis or do you need special boxes???

You can build your sub boxes in any shape you like as long as the air space is correct.
And it depends on the sub weather you can have the magnet out or not.

FOR SALE - Mk1 V6

thats good nick, mine should be good when its finished, but i would recommend getting someone else to make it if is got a load of angles

ICE'dberg MK2 172

Any job is easy when you have the right tools.....now wheres me spanner????

Seriously, can any body recommend an arse out sub, think they look cool all chromed with mesh basket....MMmmmm

If you want an arse-out sub, theres only one choice in my opinion (and they dont call me the ICEman for nothing!!)... Audiobahn. They look the dogs in mirrored/chrome effect and they have huuuuge magnets. Dont even get me started on the sound quality and power of these babies!!

ICE'dberg MK2 172

Mobile World advertise in the mags and they have a 10" for £110 inc box, dont know what model it is, maybe you know ICEman?? What wattage amp would be best to drive it?

Have been looking at the Alpine MRVF407 4X120. Want 2 ch for the fronts and the other 2 bridged for the sub, do you think it would be OK? as I want to keep to one make throughout. Matching it all to the 7876R head and 624 changer with 135As up front

The model they have in the Mobile World ad is probably the AW1051X. Its not top of the range for Audiobahn, but at the price its an excellent sub. Amp-wise, the Alpine V-series is a good amp: excellent circuitry, efficient cooling and nice design, however I think to go with a competition spec sub like the Audiobahn (and some people might disagree with me on this, I guess youre either an Alpine fanatic or not) I would go for an American amp, such as a Lanzar Vibe or a Pheonix Gold. Another to consider (and one of the best kept secrets in car audio land) is the new chrome Legacy LA Competition range (not the black American Classics, theyre sh*t!) These are really sh*t-hot amps, hugely powerful, and brilliantly designed with loadsa features. An LA890, or even a 690 should give more than enough kick for your requirements, and for way less cash than an equivalent Alpine model!
If you look at the true SPL boys, theyre using the above brands plus Audiobahn, Rockford, Atomic, MacAudio, Kicker... not really Alpine. Deffo more boom for yer buck, and bear in mind that power ratings for good US amps are always quoted very conservatively, in RMS, and so anything pumping 100W per channel is likely to be louder than a 300W/channel peak Euro/Jap amp.

Oh yeah, another thing... since its being sold complete with box, it might be fitted with the basket in the way, as they tend to use generic boxes in mail order companies. Worth asking at any rate, as Audiobahn do make custom enclosures for basket-out sub-mounting, and if its one of these, £110 is an amazing deal!