ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stupid Questions :-|

Mondeo
Hi all,

I am buying a Clio Sport 172. However some people talk about a 172 Cup, I've seen 182, 197, ff, etc. How many types of Sports are there?

I assume the 182 is a newer version of the 172 and I assume the 197 is the latest incarnation. But what are all the others and how many different variants are there?

Cheers H

Right,

172 = referred to as ff as it has leather/xenons etc. Full colour range.

172 Cup = Diff alloys, bit more 'focused' and some weight saving. Iceberg Silver or Mondial Blue.

182 - but it has 2 main option packs. Suspension and spoilers. 182's with both are reffered to as ff. Full colour range.

182 Cup - Suspension and spoiler packs as standard, but no xenons or leather. Only in Inferno and Racing Blue.

182 Trophy - Uprated suspension and seats, no xenons. Only in red.

Theres various 197's (F1, Cup) too but im not 100% sure on the differences with those.

Mini Cooper S sport
Oh and FF stands for 'full fat', it's just a Cliosport invention.

Welcome to the club!! :)

Mondeo TXS Bardge.
welcome, there are a fair few, uk varients

ther is the mk1 172- ( ph-quick iirc)
then there was a higher spec mk1 i think the FF.
then there was the mk2 172
and a mk2 172 ff
and a 172 cup ( which has different suspention and a spoiler, and lot lighter, and is arguably the fastest of the mk2 incarnations)
then mk2 182 ( more poer dual exhause and no spare wheel)
mk2 182 ff
mk2 182 cup ( which was like the 182, but not as religeously stripped as the 172 and according to a few on here not as good- and cheaper than the regular 182 iirc)
then there was the cup packs which you could spec up the suspention and ass alloys and a cup spoiler.
the 182 trophy, came in a special colour and was like an uprated 182
then theres the 197.
the 197 f1 team r26 ( has the new cup chassis and specisl stickers and other stuff)
now ther is a the 197 cup,( same as veign as previous cups but in the 197 guise and cheaper than the normal 197 i think)
thenere is soon to be the cup pack options for the regular 197

gees there's more RS varient than there is the regualr clio

Mondeo TXS Bardge.
oh and the 172 cup does not have abs and most places have them as an insurance group 17 not 16 like the rest.

Mondeo
Wow, your knowledge astounds me ;-)

I am like that with Freelanders. Will I one day gain such knowledge (often referred to as sad!) myself?

Cheers H

PH2 172
IVe noticed the normal 172's (ph2) have stationary water jets for the front lights, where as the 172 cups (ph2) have motorised headlight washers.

is this just another cup accessory?

Cheers

The 172s have headlight washers for the xenons which is a requirement. The Cups dont have xenons so its just a blanking plate.

PH2 172
Ahh rite, i thought they where like on the VW's where they where motorised.

didnt realise the cups dont have xenons.

so bottom line, the 172 Cup is pure raw car, just basic essentials

where as then 172 is more for comfort(sp?) and luxury to a degree?

just looking to either getting an Ibiza Cupra or Clio 172/172 cup

Cheers

From the one article I've read, the cups were just £200 more at time of purchase and the majority went for it. Spend £1000s and £1000s on a car then get offered to 'upgrade to a more sporty version' for £200, what would you do?!

guess, but yal be wrong
Right,

172 = referred to as ff as it has leather/xenons etc. Full colour range.

172 Cup = Diff alloys, bit more 'focused' and some weight saving. Iceberg Silver or Mondial Blue.

182 - but it has 2 main option packs. Suspension and spoilers. 182's with both are reffered to as ff. Full colour range.

182 Cup - Suspension and spoiler packs as standard, but no xenons or leather. Only in Inferno and Racing Blue.

182 Trophy - Uprated suspension and seats, no xenons. Only in red.

Theres various 197's (F1, Cup) too but im not 100% sure on the differences with those.

what is the full colour range??? including different shades etc like iceberg silver.

just wondering thats all

cheers scott

Last edited:

TeZ

Non RS : (
WelcomeCino.gif

Welcome.