ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Strut Brace - Help Needed

Skoda Fabia vRS

right guys ive been wantin to get a strut brace on my car for ages as there a cheap mod

but ive heard a lot of people sayin that they shouldnt just be screwed in, but boltin in means takin out the front suspension

can you weld a strut brace on ?......will it perform well ?...any problems ?

my mate with an XR2 said a lot of the XR2 boys weld em on

Clio 1.6 16V

The last time I fitted a strut brace was to my past MKII 16V Golf. Cant remember for the life of me what make it was. The fixing was quite clever. You drilled the holes on the turrets to a specific diameter (struts in place) and used the special tool they supplied to press fit a "nutsert" in the holes, basically a cross between a rivet and a nut if that makes sense. The strut brace was then bolted in place to a specific torque. The whole assembly was very secure (much better than crappy self-tappers that some seem to be using). The beauty of this was that it could be removed easily if required without disturbing the nuts. Im sure these "nutserts" must be readily available from general fastener companies?

I think it may be my posting you were refering to?! re bolting and welding

I had my local renault dealer drop the front suspension and do the job properly! (Its not as bad or time consuming as youd think) In my case it was bolting it in. Modern cars like the clio are disposable, they havent been designed to be pulled apart and rebuilt - as anyone whos had the interior apart knows, its never quite the same....rattles and squeaks creep in!

Ideally you should weld the strut brace in, its the no compromise solution that will give the best results, I pondered long and hard and decided it was too big a risk to take, once its in its going nowhere and could prove to be a serious problem when working on the car in the future. I used the OMP brace on my Mk2 and found it did noticably improve high speed cornering and aided turn-in (but only in the dry!) On my cup Ive yet to decide on which brace to use, I may even commision someone to make a custom brace without the stupid adjuster which is definitely a weak point.

Hope this helps????

BTW, my local dealer charged 2 hours labour to fit both front & rear braces, full guarantee on workmanship no arguments.

Most are quite useful, pricey though, but they know what theyre doin after all! Also looks good for re-sale when the scary stuffs been done my a main dealer

Brun dont weld it in place, makes a very difficult job if you want any engine work doing. The best way is to bolt the brace down with nuts and bolts. You may well have to drop the suspension legs but its far more secure than body bolts. The reason for fitting a strut brace is to lessen movement in the body shell . If you only secure it with body bolts it will eventually move so not be secure. Will e-mail you a pic of the new 3 piece (adjustable) polishe alloy brace we now sell. can be used with a std airbox or one of our ind kits.

clio 20v

those "nutserts" are called rivnuts you can get em from loads of places i think even halfords do em, u need a tool like a rivet gun and u can get differant sizes

used one a few times on a site i work at its very useful keep meanin to add it to my toolkit he he