ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stripped Vs Cams

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Right now im gettin used to the new car its time to make a few changes. Now i have some money and at the moment i think ive narrowed the list down to either:- fully strip it and get some Cobra Monacos from Yoz or keep the leather and send it off to Ben for some awt cams? Hopefully both will be done in the not so distant future....

Im thinking strip it should probs be next. Or does anyone think i should do something else before either of these?

Spec so far:-

2.0 16v williams 2 engine
supersprint manifold (not yet fitted but booked in :D)
Decat + Exhaust
HP chip with rev limit raised to 6900rpm
ramair pannel filter in heat wrapped airbox with heavy duty ducting to front
blanking plate.
Lowered in boge gas shox and springs
5 turbo group n clutch
285mm big brake kit with drilled and grooved rear disks

imo you run cams and you dont need to think about stripping it except for 1/4 miling or track days. Bens cams will see a BIG difference on these engines, mine are timed to TDC and the difference is incredible and I cant wait to get them all timed in for even more power :devilish:. I prefer running interior in day to day, the one thing you will notice with cams is the cars performance doesnt drop off as much with weight in the car, with 2 passengers I can still comfortably pull away from most alleged quick cars.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

If i went for cams tbh i dont know if i would go for pulleys. Ben was saying that the standard ones work well though anyways.

So what kind of difference do cams make then? Sounds like a fair bit more torque? What kind of increase in bhp do they give? (not that i really care just want to try and get the idea of the extra power they give in my head) Say 10bhp?

Also are they noticable throughout the rev range or more so at a different point of the rev range?

Sorry for all the questions! :oops:

I dont know as Im running std pulleys, Ill be getting the verniers and new engine mounts put on sometime in the near future tho. The problem with the standard pulleys are the timing is not as accurate, so can only really run them accurately at TDC iirc.

The difference is huge mate, I was shocked as Ben will tell you, it made the car louder and faster in all gears and theres just no let off. Will pull to the limiter in all gears and goes a bit mental at 6k... so I REALLY need more revs and I think it should make a fair bit of difference. For comparisons sake regarding torque I could out drag a Scooby WRX 225bhp thing with Northy and another mate in the car... the Scooby driver was on his own. Ive lost count of the CTRs I have had run ins with... again, with Northy and a mate in on the same night against a CTR with 1 passenger it was no problem getting past and just pulling away into the sunset.

The power comes in the same as it did before, thats the best thing, it drives the same as it did before unless your at 1500rpm where it can be a bit lumpy. The difference can mainly be felt coming on cam over 4k and then it seems to go completely nuts at 6k, but basically feels as strong low down if not stronger. As for power increase im not sure, I need to get a before and after RR, but its a significant amount I know that! lol