ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stiff shift (yanoo) help!!

marc1330

ClioSport Club Member
  Hill lover
I have fitted my stiff shift kit today and it has made a big difference to the slack in the box but i have a problem in that i cannot get reverse or fifth gear.
Do I need to adjust the linkage at all reverse does come in handy!!!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Bit worrying that you cant get reverse or fifth at the same, as normally if its mis adjusted you only lose one or the other (depending on which way is is misadjusted)

Its not running out of travel going forwards is it? only its essentially a circular path it follows so if you set it up too far forward reverse and fifth would have not enough travel even though 1st and 3rd would as they are nearer to the centre.

Does the knob look to be particuarly far forwards when you engage 1st?

marc1330

ClioSport Club Member
  Hill lover
Maybe a little chip I take it if that its a case of stripping done starting again then

Yanoo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Williams
Have you re-adjusted the long linkage (at the gearbox end)? If not, it should work perfectly. A very noob question: have you fit the gear lever housing (the big white plastic housing) correctly? The supporter wall should be on the passenger side.

marc1330

ClioSport Club Member
  Hill lover
Hi yanoo not touched linkage I did think about housing being wrong way but it only seemed to line up only one way need to check again when it gets light

marc1330

ClioSport Club Member
  Hill lover
I did move the linkage around a fair bit whilst trying to get the gearstick etc out could this of caused a problem

Yanoo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Williams
Before trying to re-adjust the long linkage, mark the current position of the linkage end (length and angle). In that case if you can pre-select R and 5th (to move the gear lever left and right and push it a bit forward) but cannot select/engage these gears properly, only the length should be adjusted. TBH re-adjusting the gear linkage is not that work what you would like to do often.

marc1330

ClioSport Club Member
  Hill lover
Have you re-adjusted the long linkage (at the gearbox end)? If not, it should work perfectly. A very noob question: have you fit the gear lever housing (the big white plastic housing) correctly? The supporter wall should be on the passenger side.
I have the car in the air does the supporter wall of the housing have a black plastic part to it from looking underneath.
I have had a play with the linkage but i am getting fifth now but not 1st

Yanoo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Williams
The supporter wall is in the passenger cabin like in this pic (it's a Clio Mk1, but it's similar in Clio Mk2):

Williams_FRS_adjusting_small.jpg

This wall is on the passenger side. If your gear lever housing is fitted correctly, the black bit that you mentioned is on the drivers side underneath the car. Have you tightened up all bits & clamps correctly? I quess the bolt in the the elbow joint may be loose or the end of the long linkage (the clevis bar) is not tightened properly and it may have incorrect angle position now.

marc1330

ClioSport Club Member
  Hill lover
Must be I think it was all fitted correctly just took it apart again to check now back together got 1st and 3rd and 5th now I think I may of uncovered a linkage problem since fitting the kit

Yanoo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Williams
Does your engine sit correctly in the engine bay? Are all engine mounts in perfect condition (especially the dogbone)? They must be perfect, that's essential. 1st, 3rd, 5th selected when the gear stick is pushed forward and the linkage is pulled backward under the car. If you cannot select 2nd and 4th that means you cannot push forward the linkage properly (under the car), your gear linkage may be misaligned and you should re-adjust it.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
You might not have a problem, put the car in neutral, undo the linkage bolt sleeve pinch bolt underneeth. Adjust it which ever way you need to. ( selector rod ) Redo the bolt up , not to tight or you crush the rod. And see if you have all gears.

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
You might not have a problem, put the car in neutral, undo the linkage bolt sleeve pinch bolt underneeth. Adjust it which ever way you need to. ( selector rod ) Redo the bolt up , not to tight or you crush the rod. And see if you have all gears.

also worth trying the same with the shift in the reverse position, and set the box in reverse, then tighten up there and see where that leaves the gears.
Just a case of trial and error IME

marc1330

ClioSport Club Member
  Hill lover
Right the saga continues.... I now have reverse 1st,2,3,and fourth but not fifth, it feels like the lever just runs out of sideways travel. Also I get reverse without having to lift the collar so could the stiff shift not be correctly installed cheers for the replies so far

Yanoo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Williams
It's difficult to imagine how you could get reverse without having to lift the collar. :eek: Are the upper and lower collars / cups of the stiff shift fixed by the big circlip? Is the rubber covered collar of the lower gear stick gaitor between the stiff shift and the circlip? Are the inner rings in the alloy collars? Is the gear stick ball assembled properly? Could you take some pics?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If you do up the linkage with the stick too far to the right you get reverse without lifting the collar as it ends up where first should be and then you can't get fifth because the stick hits the side of the housing when you try.

Just sounds like it is misaligned to me, nothing to do with being a yanoo kit or not