ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spraying Iceberg Silver???

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
I currently have a V6/Trophy spoiler in dark green. What colour primer would I need before I apply the silver?
I'm sure I read somewhere that there are 5 different shades of Iceberg, is this true?
Finally, what is the part no. of the aerosol form Renault?
Thanks in advance.

Rub down the paint thats on there at the moment back down to the original primer. Are you thinking of just spraying over the colour that's on there at the moment?

The different shades is probably to do with how the paint has aged on the car and over years some may give a lighter dull effect than a brand spanking new one.

you definately need to strip back the paint thats on there at the moment.

the key to a good finish is all in the preperation.

you need a grey primer for silver mate.

Punto/Clio GTT
you can strip it back if you want but there really is no need, just creating more work for yourself. if the spoiler colour looks ok and its not damaged, just prep it and paint onto the laquer, job done.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Cheers for the input guys. The finish on the spoiler is quite good, it has a few runs at one end and a tiny section had broken away but other than that it is mint.
So I should just prep the laquer, prime in grey the add the colour and the laquer?
What is the part number of iceberg from renault and is there more than 1 shade?

106 GTi
I would be tempted to go to a good paint supplier, get them to match the paint, mix it up and put it in rattle cans for you.

VaVa
The paint code is MV640 iirc.

When a friend of mine painted my Cup spoiler, there were 5 different revisions of Iceburg Silver in the Renault colour swathes.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
MV640 is correct IIRC also and as said there are 5 variants, best to get examples and match them up against the car, that's what I got the bodyshop to do when they did my cup spoiler.

VaVa
Yup. He did 5 spray outs on cards and put them on top of the car. Rev 5 was spot on - the others looked completely different colours!!

Some had more brown in, some had more black, pink - allsorts of random colours. Mines pretty much spot on though.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
the bodyshop had the 5 different shades already on cards from Renault, but to be perfectly honest they all looked the same to me, just left it up to the sprayer to decide the best, looks a perfect match to me.