ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Speed Camera Detector

Ok, was looking around and came across this Detector. If this thing actually worked and told you that you were being targeted by a laser, how would it benefit you? You can obviously slow down but how will that really help, surely you've already been caught speeding? Thing is legal somehow.

I believe it sticks to your windscreen under your mirror and scans away.

"Snooper 3ZERO can detect radar 'scatter' from these speed traps and provide advance warnings of their position." Does that mean you're always safe?"

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Don't know about lasers, but radar detectors have been around for years. A radio wave is beamed out to the car, the wave is bounced back, and the time it takes to return is used to work out the distance of the vehicle to the trap. Multiple readings taken at regular intervals (GATSO's do this constantly, handhelds when the trigger is depressed) give you a distance travelled over a certain time, and therefore a speed.

This scans for the radio waves emitted by a speed trap, and alerts you. These do usually give a lot of warning, but you also get false positives now and then. They will warn you of GATSOs, handhelds e.t.c.

How will it help? Well, the Radar waves travel further than they can actually be used - in other words, you'll pick them up before you're actually close enough for them to be bounced back and detected. Not by a huge amount though. I wouldn't rely on one either. You're never safe from a speed trap.

In some countries these are illegal. Not sure about the UK at the moment though.

Don't know about lasers, but radar detectors have been around for years. A radio wave is beamed out to the car, the wave is bounced back, and the time it takes to return is used to work out the distance of the vehicle to the trap. Multiple readings taken at regular intervals (GATSO's do this constantly, handhelds when the trigger is depressed) give you a distance travelled over a certain time, and therefore a speed.

This scans for the radio waves emitted by a speed trap, and alerts you. These do usually give a lot of warning, but you also get false positives now and then. They will warn you of GATSOs, handhelds e.t.c.

How will it help? Well, the Radar waves travel further than they can actually be used - in other words, you'll pick them up before you're actually close enough for them to be bounced back and detected. Not by a huge amount though. I wouldn't rely on one either. You're never safe from a speed trap.

In some countries these are illegal. Not sure about the UK at the moment though.

Would it be enough time to slow down? Sounds like a good piece of kit, really surprised it is legal.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Usually yes. If the beam is blocked until you're right on top of it (buildings e.t.c., uncommon really) then you'll have less time to react for obvious reasons.

No car
I've heard of one of these! But it sticks by your number plate, blocks out the police signal warns you that your being speed gunned, and when the police try to re scan you, obviously you've dropped your speed. It's not illegal coz apparently the blocking frequency is the same as the frequency used to open garage doors. So if anyone asks, it's just ur garage door opener;)

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Jammers are definitely illegal. No matter which frequency they use.

+1 on this, just becasue its the same frequency as a guarage door opener dosnt make it plausable! Also im not sur eyour right as I would have expected garage door openers to work on the 433Mhz/2Ghz/5Ghz bands, much lower than what a rader gun uses (8/10/32Ghz bands iirc)!

Yeah I think Jammers are illegal, you can get done for "preventing the course of justice", same goes for the shiny stuff you put on your plates, even though it doesn't work apparently. The detectors seem cool though, expensive though.

I've heard of one of these! But it sticks by your number plate, blocks out the police signal warns you that your being speed gunned, and when the police try to re scan you, obviously you've dropped your speed. It's not illegal coz apparently the blocking frequency is the same as the frequency used to open garage doors. So if anyone asks, it's just ur garage door opener;)

Couldn't be more wrong if your name was Jordi17! :rasp:

DETECTORS are LEGAL.

JAMMERS (or any sort of blocking or interferrance device) are ILLEGAL.

In this country (unlike Norway (?) where they hide them in wheely-bins etc) you have to be warned of all speed cameras by signs etc and they are not allowed to be hidden/concealed. Therefore detecting them electronically and then slowing down is no different to doing 90 then slowing down when you see a van on a bridge or a sign with your own eyesight?

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
I have one.. Its a royal PITA at times though... For some reason it goes nuts when you drive past large shops with CCTV cameras outside :eek:

Couldn't be more wrong if your name was Jordi17! :rasp:

DETECTORS are LEGAL.

JAMMERS (or any sort of blocking or interferrance device) are ILLEGAL.

In this country (unlike Norway (?) where they hide them in wheely-bins etc) you have to be warned of all speed cameras by signs etc and they are not allowed to be hidden/concealed. Therefore detecting them electronically and then slowing down is no different to doing 90 then slowing down when you see a van on a bridge or a sign with your own eyesight?
I was thinking more for mobile ones, police are everywhere where I live, there were three checkpoints in my village the other day (looking for bombs and such) and they often roll out the mobile units around my local shop, none of them in high vis stuff like they're meant to.

No car
Oh really? Im only going on what I heard. Maybe it's not a jammer but detects the signal the speed gun uses before its close enough to read your speed and then warns you?