ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Snapped cambelt on my 182

AMG-TT-ST-LR3-182
Hi guys,

I have just purchased a 182 with a snapped cambelt caused by the AUX belt. I picked the car up cheap (IMO) and am trying to decide the best route to take...

Current plan:
Take the spark plugs out, put a camera down the bore to see what damage there is. If all looks OK do a compression test.

If there is signs of damage, take head off and inspect. If the bores look OK replace bent valves, re assemble with new belt, dephaser ETC and hopefully all will be good.

If the bores look mangled replace with a 2nd hand engine.

Do these engines usually damage just the valves or do they take the rods out with them? Where would be the best place to buy the timing tool? Have many people repaired engines with snapped belts or do they just chuck another engine in?

I like getting my hands dirty and rarely buy a car that doesn't need work.

Thanks for any feedback! :)

Chris

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Chuck another engine in, it's miles cheaper and loads faster.

For piece of mind do the belts and dephaser on the new engine, or buy a decent second hand one with evidence of recent belt change.

AMG-TT-ST-LR3-182
I'd definitely do the belts on a replacement engine.

Just thought it would probably be worth taking the head off 1st if there is signs of damage before going down that route.

Are the engines easy to remove? Currently replacing the engine in my ST.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I'd be very surprised if there wasn't any damage.

I personally wouldn't bother rebuilding an engine thats snapped the cam belt, not when a runner can be had for a couple of hundred.
You'd have that easily in parts and labour doing a rebuild.

330i. E30 Touring.
Yep, pistons will have bent all the valves.

Second hand known engine is by far the easiest, cheapest and best option.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
For the price of engines these days, chuck a known one in that's likely to have had belts done properly, run it until it dies, then throw another one in. If you're handy enough to swap an engine out you might as well do it that way

AMG-TT-ST-LR3-182
Made a start on this Wednesday evening:

Engine mount off to inspect the belt:
C893BED6-FFD0-442E-B19E-77D98FBA33AA_zpspgcirpck.jpg

All in one piece, so I guess its just jumped.

Inlet manifold lifted to inspect spark plugs:
D4DEDF7B-A06C-4781-AFCB-D825B6C68866_zpsvqoeyzfz.jpg

307E3838-F0DD-4BC7-A1FE-0272C5A37480_zpsxpbdeg8j.jpg

1, 2 and 4 came out no problem and looked fine, however 3 wont move. Guessing its pretty messy in that cylinder and has caught the plug hence it not unscrewing. I'll take the head off anyway to see, but i'll probably go down the new engine route. The spark plugs were replaced last year according to receipts and they do look pretty new, so there isn't really a reason why it shouldn't come out.

How do the engines come out of these? Is it sub frame off and drop for underneath or slide the box off and lift from the top?

Thanks for all the posts so far! :smile:

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Lift it all out of the top mate.

These engine's also love to drop a valve so it could be that and not the belt.

But the pulleys are "floating" so depending who did the belt change could also be the problem.

Anyway as others have already said, find a good engine and just fit that.