ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sketchy rear...

cg172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172FF
Hello!

We got our new (to us) 172 last wednesday and it's awesome!! especially having moved up from a 1.2 dynamique (you know how it is when clio's get under you skin...). It's a Black 172 on a '53 plate with 55k on the clock, and a full stainless system (otherwise standard).
It's the best of about 10 that we've looked at over the past year or so, and we're both deeply in love with it.

We're just slightly sceptical about the rear of the car. Mid corner bumps seem to really unsettle it, making it yaw from side to side quite dramatically. Is this just us going a bit faster than we may have realised, or could it be somthing not set up correctly? I was under the impression that the sport was reknowned for being really unflappable, but I also know that it's prone to a bit of lift off over-steer...

The car is fitted with Nakang tyres, which I've seen refered to via a quick search as "ditchfinders" and "widowmakers"... Confidence inspiring! Any ideas?

It's A Reno
As mentioned, it coud be the shocks.

I don't know about other's Sports, but mine also does as you described, especially when going over joins in tarmac or the steel strips on bridges when cornering at speed.
It's never let go, just feels like it's moved towards the outside of the corner a couple of inches.
It did it in Germany doing upto 140 and I'm still here.:)

I came to the conclusion that it is just another characteristic, or you're feeling the effect of the ESP kicking in, but I don't think it's anything to fear, as long as your shocks are ok.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
rear shocks, £53 from renault each :)

have a quick check to see if there is oil leaking from them, there easy to replace too! il write you a guide if you need to change them :)

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
^^^ one of mine was fecked and had no clues to leaking in thw slightest.

BMW M135i
Yeh as said knackered rear shocks tends to make the handling more "interesting", but even though nankangs aren't the best they should be understeering before the back end gets loose normally.