ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Should I be suspicious?

Right here goes...

Currently selling my 2003 clio on pistonheads. I had a phone call on saturday afternoon , a lady (very posh/well spoken lady) asking about my car, saying how is it still for sale and how she would like to come and see it.

Shes from central london, I live in Cardiff... my car has a private plate, and she was asking if it would be changed, I said yes I would have to phone DVLA and find out how I get it back to on 03, because when I bought the car new in 03 it was registered under my private plate and never registered on an 03 plate.

Basically, she said she wanted to come down monday/tuesday and possible come and see the car, she said she would get a train to Cardiff Central and if I could meet her there, then if we came to an agreement that she could pay me a deposit. I told her if we agreed a fee, that I wouldnt be handing the car over for a week or two because I need the car for work.

This may not be odd, but it seems it too me, my car is basically a modified 03 clio, not really the type of car that I thought a women would want, and on the phone she was saying how her house got broken into and they stole her keys and stole her cars.

Am I just being paranoid ?!

Ultra Red Clio 197
seems ok, tho if your worried then just dont go on your own if you decide to meet her... who cares if its not the sort of car that you would picture her in.. maybe its a gift for her son or daughter or something.. especially if all their cars have been stolen.

lol, I know what your saying... just seemed weird... a posh lady wanting a modified clio! lol, and she said could I meet her at the train station. Surely you wouldnt just give someone a deposit for a car at a train station (considering I told her that if she pays me the deposit she cant have the car for a week or two after)?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
bigmaddaz??? More like smallshakyshirly if you ask me.

Take deposit, tell her to come back in 10 days with the pound notes.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Just do it, will be fine. Just don't go out of you way loads.

Probably sounds posh cos your Welsh ;)

vers le haut doigt milieu
I sound really posh on the phone and live in London and have often travelled more then a few hundred miles to buy a car, when I have turned up they have always said you don't look like you sound. Chances are she's a rich young bird who likes ur car with a kick arse accent.

ado

ClioSport Club Member
  기아 &#4
Just sell it to her there. I'm sure you can find a car very soon.;)

C

clvs2222

when i sold my last sport, a guy from ireland flew to london and then got the train from london to swansea. i was very suspicious of that, but he handed me cash and he took it away. to easy really.

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
Nah, a dude came all the way to Sheffield from Romford in Essex to buy my last car, without ever seeing it.

No problems

Sounds ok to me, i have met a few people before at their local train station etc rather than go find their street in some town you dont know. I have brought and sold so many cars, i had 1 lad from ireland come and buy one of my cars and not even test drive the car, handed over the cash and just took it! 1 lad came from manchester and took my car straight away, chances are if their travelling a fare few miles their gonna buy it. If she leaves a deposit then thats cool just arrange a day when suits u both to exchange car/cash.

Audi TT 3.2 V6
when i sold my last sport, a guy from ireland flew to london and then got the train from london to swansea. i was very suspicious of that, but he handed me cash and he took it away. to easy really.

Same happened with me when selling my ST170. Gotta phone call from an irish guy, said him and his bro are coming across to both buy new motors. They would be arriving Thursday would they be ok to view it.

I was also very suspicious...part of me expected they to be pikies. However i was wrong, two very pleasant guys. One of them had already bought a saab, they come up paid cash, i let them use the computer to sort out car insurance and book a hotel for the evening. Off they went...job done :D

ds3
i've got a posh accent and i'm a girl :p i'm still interested in modded cars. doesn't really mean alot imo! as long as you get the money and she gets the car i'm not seeing much of a problem.

i've got a posh accent and i'm a girl :p i'm still interested in modded cars. doesn't really mean alot imo! as long as you get the money and she gets the car i'm not seeing much of a problem.

Posh and from Bristol?

Oooooohhh ahhhhh I dont berleeeve that! ;)

Astra van,Mk1 nova
sounds fine to me! A lad from newcastle phoned me about my valver years ago, sounded like a dodger but was a nice guy and paid in £50 notes :approve:

M2 Competition
I travelled to wales to buy my cup.

Guessing she'll see the car at the train station and give you the deposit there and then if she likes it?

Just use common sense, take a mate/ parent with you, and ask her questions if you're not happy about anything...

1 Series Coupe
I'd go with it and see what happens. She meets you, give you deposit. If she doesnt turn up with the rest of the £££, youy gained Xamount of money.

Sounds legit to me. Just make sure the bankers draft / cash is real and not fake / fraud. Is there a bank near by you can pay it into with her being with you? If there was something dodgy, she won't go into the bank with you.

I'd expect her to go a branch of her bank near you if she wants it & give you the readies (unless she does wish to pay by bankers draft) Or maybe she'll be carrying the monies.

It's not dodgy at all, i've offered to fly to scotland before to buy a car (I live in Essex) but if it's as good as it sounds you have to make the effort.

clio 182 black /gold
My brother flew to glasgow to pick his G/Fs car up. The salesman picked him up from the airport in the car, he paid for it and drove it back.