ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault 5 gtt / 172 / 172 turbo Project

A

ashy_gtt

Hello,

Just thought I would share my latest project with you chaps, some of you may find it interesting, some may not... But here goes...

I've been into R5gtt's for about 6 years now and owned nearly ten of them. My latest project was given to me in the form of a fairly tatty rolling shell... It was fully stripped out no dash seats etc... engine had been removed, and it was in a bit of a mess...

From the word go I knew I wanted to make a track day car, something light but with a pokey reliable engine...

I set about it, cleaning out the inside, fitted bucket seats a roll cage and harnesses. Next came the engine, I decided to go for a 172 engine for reliability and power... so set about sourcing one and dropping it in.

DSCF2007.JPG

The first engine had a dropped valve so that had to come back out and was replaced with engine nuber 2!! I fabricated the manifold to suit, and ran it on a DTA ECU

DSCF2013.JPG

The bonnet needed a bit of a lump in to clear the taller engine

View attachment 24475

and its been running like this for a year or so and its fairly nippy, i had it rolling roaded on Motorscopes new rollers at a RTOC day out and it made 173bhp which was nice... However I missed the turbo rush and as with all things it started to feel slow and boring. So next stage turbo... :)

A

ashy_gtt

So I set about re-building engine number 3

Machined the pistons down to drop the compression -

Image004.jpg

Machined the flywheel to take my multiplate clutch -

Image015.jpg

Stripped the block & Painted it yellow :dead: -

DSCF2486a.JPG

Blasted and powder coated the inlet manifold and plenum - :evil:

DSCF2499a.JPG

Knocked up a manifold and downpipe to suit a T3

1a.JPG

A

ashy_gtt

One of the problems with the NA engine was movement, it rocked about too much on the gtt mounts, so I had to brace it with a bit of a pikey stabiliser bar onto the strut top.... So once the engine was removed for the turbo conversion I decided to weld in a clio top mount...

DSCF2784.JPG

Here it is primed -

DSCF2843.JPG
DSCF2845.JPG

And painted -

DSCF2848.JPG
DSCF2855.JPG

Sorted, now to drop the engine in....:quiet:

A

ashy_gtt

so, new engine needed a better fuel rail and FPR that could cope with a bit of positive pressure, so instead of re-inventing the wheel I stole Scoff's idea of using the volvo T5 fuel rail... with a bit of machining i made a bracket to mount it to the inlet manifold.

DSCF2983a.JPG
View attachment 24487

and fitted that to my engine

in.JPG

I also machined a new turbo oil feed banjo as the gtt one I was planning to use wouldn't fit properly...

DSCF2958a.JPG

SO thats where I'm up to, need to make a few adjustments to the MAP but I'm hopefull that it should fire up this weekend...

Goto fit a new power steering pump to my Vee first, but for those who are interested I will keep this thread upto date with my progress :)

Heres the Vee

DSCF2806.JPG

I'm sure I've missed bits out, but It's a lot to fit into one thread LOL...

cock mobile.
Keep updating this, nice to see it progress.

Wish I was good at this sort of stuff, bet it will be a right little beast once complete.

172 sport/Clio 16v T
Very nice mate seen your car on rtoc quite a bit but i'm lovin the new conversion! Are you goin for low or high boost setup??

A

ashy_gtt

Well what a weekend, after burning my starter motor out yesterday I managed to find another one in the garage today
smile.gif

Slapped it on and tried again to get her to run... Found that the pressure compensation map was all over the place (dont use USB to serial converters when uploading saved maps to your ECU it screws all the data up!!)

Anyway long story short, I got her running for the first time
biggrin.gif
well happy
smile.gif

Heres a vid....

http:// www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBumHOeqKow

Just needs an oil change then a good mapping session!!

Well what a weekend, after burning my starter motor out yesterday I managed to find another one in the garage today
smile.gif

Slapped it on and tried again to get her to run... Found that the pressure compensation map was all over the place (dont use USB to serial converters when uploading saved maps to your ECU it screws all the data up!!)

Anyway long story short, I got her running for the first time
biggrin.gif
well happy
smile.gif

Heres a vid....

http:// www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBumHOeqKow

Just needs an oil change then a good mapping session!!

Nice one Ashtray! :D:D:D

Looks and sounds ace!

A

ashy_gtt

None too bad.

Nice to see the project up and running ! :D Looking forward to some 1/4 vids ;) :approve:

Well I've built it as a track car rather than a 1/4 mile destroyer... However seeing as I have a set of Mickey Thompsons gathering dust in the garage I'm sure it'll be making an apperance!! ;)

A

ashy_gtt

Maybe a moderator could move this thread into the projects section for me?

I just clocked when I saw the pic of the vee, d'oh:eek: - How you getting on with it ? (I bought the standard blue one that came up for sale shortly after yours)

Nice project you've got on the go :cool:

ValverInBits
that manifold looks, errr, well balanced. Praps cylinder 3 (from Cbelt) will experience a little more back pressure than the others!
I can't talk tho, A nice project and if it works and shifts, then thats all that matters!
good luck mate

A

ashy_gtt

that manifold looks, errr, well balanced. Praps cylinder 3 (from Cbelt) will experience a little more back pressure than the others!

Why would it need to be ballanced? have you seen a gtt manifold?

A

ashy_gtt

New dash to go in aquired today (Cheers Steve / Rich)

dash1.JPG

dash2.JPG

The cats an optional extra... Should be fun trying to get the wiring sorted!! :dead:

Anyone got a wiring diagram for a 172? also are the looms between the clio's fairly universal? I.E. could i find a w@nkey clio in a breakers and have the loom out to run the 172 dash?

Titanium ph1 turbo
Wow Ashy, just found this thread, amazing work mate!! Please invite me to come and see the finished product once it's done, looks awesome! Get some pics up of the actual car, are you running it on 15's? Keep it street sleeper and standard mate, if you ever consider selling it contact me first lol :)

Ph1
Great project and respect for giving it a bash but going by threads on turbo'd 172's there is in some folks opinions still question marks over long term reliability, gearbox strength etc etc
Will be good to see how it compares to a standard GT Turbo engine with similar power

A

ashy_gtt

Great project and respect for giving it a bash but going by threads on turbo'd 172's there is in some folks opinions still question marks over long term reliability, gearbox strength etc etc
Will be good to see how it compares to a standard GT Turbo engine with similar power

Trust me there would be reliability issues on a Reno 5 running 200bhp +... To be honest tho I very rarely use the Reno 5 and get more fun out of stripping and rebuilding it than I do driving it :)

Clutches / gearboxs are a right pain... The Helix clutch has always served me well tho...

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd

Trust me there would be reliability issues on a Reno 5 running 200bhp +... To be honest tho I very rarely use the Reno 5 and get more fun out of stripping and rebuilding it than I do driving it :)

Clutches / gearboxs are a right pain... The Helix clutch has always served me well tho...
yh the helix clutch has served me well too!
and i done around 20,000 miles on and iv now bought a new one but theres nothing different e.g worn down?:S
great thead mate!
i was thinking of getting my fly drilled?!?will this lighten it enough to notice a gain?

A

ashy_gtt

yh the helix clutch has served me well too!
and i done around 20,000 miles on and iv now bought a new one but theres nothing different e.g worn down?:S
great thead mate!
i was thinking of getting my fly drilled?!?will this lighten it enough to notice a gain?

Wouldn't of thought so m8, I nearly halved the weight of my flywheel, took a lot of meet off so the Clutch didn't foul inside the bell housing!

DSCF2897.JPG