ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Radar detectors

Clio sport 172 MK 2
Im looking at getting a radar detector and was wondering how effective they are with having the athermal windscreen. I know that the little clear rectangle on the bottom of the screen should help but it seems to be mostly blocked by the winscreen wipers. Anyone with a radar detector that can provide any feedback would be appreciated,cheers.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I have a Bel550 Euro.

Works effectively enough through that s**t patch on the screen. I have a few scratches in my screen atm though so might just lob a brick at it and get a new one without whatever crap they put on it.

It depends how you drive.

Radar detectors go off wherever there's radar (mine picks up automatic doors, motorway service shops and airport radar towers for example) so basically turn it off when you go into a town. Shouldn't be speeding in built up areas anyway.

If when you're on the M25 you tend to balance yourself on 100mph then they can be useful in telling which camera gantries are working or not, it's also fun when you're just following another car who keeps speeding when you flash and slow down for a camera, to see them get flashed by the overhead camera:D

They can be very annoying if you don't speed all the time, and if you want one to tell you where speed cameras are because you have no road awareness then I'd advise you get a GPS detector.

If you're like me and have no problem seeing cameras normally, and tend to be sensible (let someone else speed infront of you) on a motorway, then just get a laser jammer for the c***s you can't plan for;)

197-I love!!!
I actually won a Navman with some Shell promotion-Couldn't believe it-I never win anything.Anyway it works very well with my 182 windscreen straight out of the box-Has speed cameras on it and it really works and the map reading is good-The voice could perhaps be a little louder but it's OK.It's an F20.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Certain devices don't have a problem. Radar does.

The bad thing about most GPS systems is that they're not speed sensitive, so you could know where the speed cameras are, or be sat in traffic, and they still bleep away. That's the best thing about the Road Pilot Pro really (got one of those too btw)

106 GTi
My Road Angel 2 was very poor even in the cut out so ended up getting an seperate antenna for it on the rear shelf. Purchased my TomTom One with an antenna aswell expecting to need it but it seems to work without it fine placed anywhere on the front screen.