ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

R1R vs AD08R

Gibbo205

ClioSport Club Member
  Ftype SVR & E46 M3
Hi there

Looking for a grippy road tyre, mainly used in dry, odd track day and of course maybe odd bit of rain. So ruling out the full on semi slicks like R888R, AR1 etc as they can be a bit lethal on the road in cold/wet conditions and can take some time getting heat into on road use.

As such the R1R or AD08R seems a good choice for road use.

Has anyone here tried both the Toyo R1R and Yokohama AD08R, how would you compare to the two?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I had AD08R's for 2 years, now on R1R's.

For all round conditions you can't beat the AD08R's.

The R1R's wouldn't last as long in the dry, but they are miles better in the wet!

Gibbo205

ClioSport Club Member
  Ftype SVR & E46 M3
I had AD08R's for 2 years, now on R1R's.

For all round conditions you can't beat the AD08R's.

The R1R's wouldn't last as long in the dry, but they are miles better in the wet!

Which would you say give the best dry grip on the road, R1R or AD08R? Not so bothered about wear rate, its just a weekend car (172 cup).

See I found the AD08R needed a bit of heat to get the most out of them on the road but once warm performed well. They exceeded expectation in damp and light rain on the road & track which I was surprised at TBH. Not so good with standing water though. On a dry track however I found them wanting as they overheated very quickly and therefore lost performance.

Not tried the R1R's but James has and I take his word on them that they are good in the dry and wet.

If you want good performance from cold and good dry/wet grip then look at the R1R or a premium road tyre like the PS3, GY F1, BS Potenza, Conti sport 5 etc...

Gibbo205

ClioSport Club Member
  Ftype SVR & E46 M3
I also hear the R1R and AD08R are a larger footprint than a regular tyre. I find on my 172 cup the road tyres kind of look a little stretched on the 16" Turini's, so I was gonna up size from 195/45/16 to a 205/45/16, but maybe with an R1R or AD08R there is no need?

Gibbo205

ClioSport Club Member
  Ftype SVR & E46 M3
James as you tried both R1R and AD08R, which one would you say had stiffer sidewalls as I know AD08R are generally very stiff having run them on an EVO years back, but no idea how R1R compares?

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
Iv ran R1R’s on my dc2 integra and used them on scottish roads with lots of standing water with no problems

Bought them as a starter tyre for when I was doing sprints / hillclimbs to then use them as a wet tyre once I got a dedicated dry / softer tyre
They didnt appear to have overly stiff sidewalls when using them for competing in the dry however I haven’t used much tyres so not in the best place to comment on this. At the sametime they didnt appear to be really soft and roll alot. Hopefully someone with more experience can comment on the sidewalls

Gibbo205

ClioSport Club Member
  Ftype SVR & E46 M3
Got them on the car now, overall I am impressed, lots of grip, maybe a touch greasy in very hot weather and when hot, but at same time they are brand new.
Overall very impressed with them and at £300 a set quite the bargain.

I have both at the moment. AD08R are better for dry. R1R better for wet.

AD08R is a fast road/entry level track tyre. R1R is just a generally good road tyre, not good for track unless it's wet.

Neither have very stiff sidewalls.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I have both at the moment. AD08R are better for dry. R1R better for wet.

AD08R is a fast road/entry level track tyre. R1R is just a generally good road tyre, not good for track unless it's wet.

Neither have very stiff sidewalls.

Out of interest have you tried the AD08R's in the wet on track? Only ask as I have them as my wet & road tyre as they were so cheap compared to R1R's and ive not needed them on a wet track as yet.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Out of interest have you tried the AD08R's in the wet on track? Only ask as I have them as my wet & road tyre as they were so cheap compared to R1R's and ive not needed them on a wet track as yet.

They're as good as any road tyre in the wet if they have enough tread depth.

Mine got a bit twitchy in the wet on track with around 2mm left ?

I've not driven them in the wet on my car as I have R1R for that. But have driven them in the wet around Snett on my mates car which is very similar to mine. They didn't feel that great, not as good as mine felt on the R1R that for sure. But then obviously there are other factors too, age of tyres, stiffness of car and differering rain levels.

For what the OP wants I'd say the AD08R is the best value for money choice. £300 fitted for all four is a bit of a bargain. Would just need to be sensible in serious rain on the road (which you should be anyway)