ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Possible stupid question: mixing tyres..

Okay here's my dilemma:

I'm running PS3's on the front of my 182.

The backs are still the same from when I bought the car last year (kuhmo) The tread deph are fine however I have a slow puncture in one and I'm sick of trying to get it repaired.

I want PS3s for the back obviously but almost everywhere is out of stock on 195/45/16s cheapest I can get 2 is £180.

I've just seen on camskill uniroyal rainsport 3's are only £45. I know people rate these compared to the PS3s...

Is it "okay" to have those 2 together or do I just need a slap and pay the £180?

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Sometimes you want to run different tyres front to back, to change the under/oversteer balance of the car.

Rainsports aren't quite as grippy as ps3s (IIRC) so the balance will be slightly more tail happy, but I wouldn't say it'd be unmanageable.

Sounds like I'd be alright then. Given the curcumstance that I'm currently running ps3s and the not so popular kuhmos at the back.. Rain sports will surely be an upgrade to the Kuhmo?

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
I've just got Rainsport 3's all round on mine, they've got very soft side walls and always look flat at 32psi on the front and 30psi on the back, so i've put 40psi all round and they instantly felt better and looked inflated.

What Kumhos have you got, KU31 or KH31? I had KH31's on the back for ages and were fine for me, although I made sure I had decent tyres up front like Rainsport 2's or Federal 595 Sports.

I've just got Rainsport 3's all round on mine, they've got very soft side walls and always look flat at 32psi on the front and 30psi on the back, so i've put 40psi all round and they instantly felt better and looked inflated.

What Kumhos have you got, KU31 or KH31? I had KH31's on the back for ages and were fine for me, although I made sure I had decent tyres up front like Rainsport 2's or Federal 595 Sports.

I have this same problem on the PS3s they look flat on 32psi, is it wise to bump up the psi to stop this or fine as it is?

And as for the kuhmos im unsure, all I know is one keeps going like 5psi flat every other day and it's doing my tits in. Had it "rim sealed" and a nail taken out of it already and its still the same.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Slightly higher pressures are fine as long as you keep an eye on them, obviously on warmer days they'll go up, likewise if you do your pressures on a warm day they'll go down on cold days.

It really depends on the side walls tbh, if they're soft and folding over in corners then upping the pressures will help reduce it.

PH2 172
Okay here's my dilemma:

I'm running PS3's on the front of my 182.

The backs are still the same from when I bought the car last year (kuhmo) The tread deph are fine however I have a slow puncture in one and I'm sick of trying to get it repaired.

I want PS3s for the back obviously but almost everywhere is out of stock on 195/45/16s cheapest I can get 2 is £180.

I've just seen on camskill uniroyal rainsport 3's are only £45. I know people rate these compared to the PS3s...

Is it "okay" to have those 2 together or do I just need a slap and pay the £180?

I just put 4 Rainsport 3`s on in 205/45x16 (XL) @ £52.90 a corner from Camskill.

They actually look the right size for 7J,whereas the 195`s I had before looked too narrow,& the sidewalls leant in to meet the tread,and I now have some rim protection.

You can easily sell the PS3`s if they are near new,or keep them to make up a set of 4 in the future.