ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

poor handling /steering responce.. any suggestions?

RS182 Full Fat
I have the following dodgy handling characteristics on my 182. Wandering if someone might recognise what it could be.

1. At motorway speeds the steering feels sloppy and slow to respond. I can move the steering wheel left/right a couple inches either way with no change in direction.. it just goes dead straight on. Its very unnerving to not have full control at speed.
2. acceleration at slower speeds and smaller gears will spin the front wheel far too easily, as though there is no grip.

The car has lowered Eibach Sportline Spring Kit, and Whiteline Performance Adjustable Anti-Roll Bar. No other mods that might affect handling. The car has always been like this since i bought it. I thought some new front tyres might help but no joy. I have also done the obvious and paid at 2 different garage for wheel alignment adjustment. But that has just been pouring money down the drain and has changed nothing. Could it be that they are just setting the wheel alignment to predefined settings from a chart, whereas it might need bespoke settings to accommodate the lowered suspension? Or likely something else?

RS182 Full Fat
How old are the front lower arm bushes, and steering rack bushes?
Hi adalis. I don't know how old. The car was poorly maintained before i got it. lower arms are track rod ends? I asked garage when having wheel alignment to look for any obvious problems but they didn't find any. I have left the car at a trusted garage at the moment where i just left it for them to try and figure out and work on imbetween jobs as I don't use the car every day. I thought it was worth a mention on here in case the symptoms i described were that of a common problem for this model.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Hi adalis. I don't know how old. The car was poorly maintained before i got it. lower arms are track rod ends? I asked garage when having wheel alignment to look for any obvious problems but they didn't find any. I have left the car at a trusted garage at the moment where i just left it for them to try and figure out and work on imbetween jobs as I don't use the car every day. I thought it was worth a mention on here in case the symptoms i described were that of a common problem for this model.

If you buy new wishbones, they come with fresh bushes, and fresh ball joints.

Chuck in new track rod ends, and rack bushes. It'll feel a lot better.

RS182 Full Fat
knackered rear damper can also make the front feel a bit wishy washy.
i put new pair of rear dampers on as one was leaking. Car handling problem same before and after though. not related. thanks for post though.