ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

piston rings!!!

1.8 Civic EX

Just topped up my valver with oil this morning as it has done about 1k miles since last top up which is about right. Noticed that now once the car has warmed up at idle the oil pressure gauge needle is only just off the stop at the bottom of the gauge. when driving the presuure builds up and drops off as normal. the best bit, when I open the fans and turn them on I get a lovely burning oil smell blown in my face (no i didnt spill oil all over the place when topping up :p). there is no obvious leaks or puddles on the floor. could it be the rings? how much is this to get fixed? and most importantly Im going on a 2hr (motorway) drive this friday, as long as I keep an eye on the oil level would this be ok??

they can burn 1ltr/1000 miles no problem.

Check your breather system and for oil leaks onto the exhaust manifold, you wont smell rings that are gone.

sorry i kindda taking over the thread but i think me piston rings are gone as when i do 100 or more and then taking my foot off the accel pedel i get a little puff of smoke come out of the exhuast

im thinkin its the rings are worn, what do you guys think?

Quote: Originally posted by 6secClio on 03 August 2005

sorry i kindda taking over the thread but i think me piston rings are gone as when i do 100 or more and then taking my foot off the accel pedel i get a little puff of smoke come out of the exhuast

im thinkin its the rings are worn, what do you guys think?
more like valve stem seals

valve stems seals do they effect performance

and is it some thing ui can do my self i have no real car mech experience just the basics

doesnt really affect performance as such no, in a high output engine yes, but in this case no....it just burns oil pretty fast.

If you dunno what they are i wouldnt attempt it, its cam cover off, cambelt off, cams out, lifters out, valve retainers and springs out....replace seals and rebuild.

clio 16v

combine it with other work, if the cambelt has got to come off, then get that changed whilst your there, and get the cams done too, your saving money theoretically ;o)

yeah i just cant afford to put it in and i dont even know if its ever been done

so i guess i will put it in before the yr is up plus im only on 70 k