ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pinking pinging

After putting a exhaust and cold air induction on my car I have noticed that its pinking/pinging when its floored.... It has not effected performance but I thought this was impossible on new cars as they have a knock sensor which if detected it retards the timing automaticly..... HELP??

Renault Laguna Coupe

Only works within certain limits I believe. Superchips can sort this out - have a look at the thread in the main forum entitled I now have 180bhp or similar.

So you think its a fueling issue then..... probably right... They have not got a remap for my car yet but I think k-tec are working on one for early next year.

Have to put up with it for now then..... Only thing is will a fueling issue product pinking/pinging?

clio 20v

i think pinking (pre-ignition) is when ur cars running too lean i.e not enough fuel

this is not good for your engine and would get it sorted asap maybe you could try a power boost valve

adi

Oh.... Probably also due to the colder weather combined with the cold air induction..... So a powerboost valve will sort this? how do you set them up?

pinking, not pre ig as this far more serious, should be a light metallik tink noise....kinda hard to hear with a induction kit and exhaust.

just the piston rattling in the bores over TDC.

anyway, mostly cause by ignition too far advanced.....try a higer octane fuel as itll prbably solve it.

Ahhh always have used optimax.... more refined... but it still does it. You can hear it, just!, with all the noise of the exhaust and induction.

A friend said he could hear it when I drove past him.....

try retarding the ignition then......or cant you on these now electro gizmo cars? haha

try an extra additive such as castrol valvemaster plus or just get it to a garage who can sort it.

changing the induction and exhaust alone shouldnt get it to pink!

BMW 320d Sport

Well if it didnt do it before the airflow mods and now it does, then its the extra air thats causing the problem. The ECU should compensate for this but it seems like its out of range. So you need to increase the fuelling - to get the air/fuel ratio right - either with a chip or a PBV. The PBV is just an adjustable fuel pressure regulator which replaces your standard regulator on the fuel rail. YOu can then tweak the fuel pressure to bring the fuelling back into where the ECU can control it by changing injector duration in response to lambda signals..

hahaha they dont make a PBV for mine and there is no remap till early next year... Going to just have to wait, feeding it optimax till then. Maybe I might put the bit of plastic back in my grill so it has some warm air till then... :(

you could manually change your OE fressure reg by camlping it ina vice and squeezing it...thi will increasr the pressure....but there is no way back so.......risky.

BMW 320d Sport

Well no they might not make a PBV but its only an off the shelf adjustable fuel pressure regulator, just packaged up with everything you need in one box, so if you wanted you could just figure out the parts you needed. Its the adapter for the fuel rail thats the tricky bit.

Lionel Richie

What induction kit have you got???? and what exhaust???? is it a full system??? How the hell can you tell if its pinking???? Ive got a pipercross induction kit and a powerflow backbox on mine (1.2 16v) It was flying on the weekend at Brands pulling 120mph on the motorway (not down a hill before anyone starts) so i guess mines ok!!! Reset your ECU??????

Yeah fred mine pulls to 120 too.... My ears are fine tuned mate lol.... You can hear it up in the revs when the exhaust quietens down.... Does not do it all the time.... I have pipercross induction with relocation pipe... K-Tec Oval Exhaust CAT back....

Did you drive round brands hatch or just the motorway?

Lionel Richie

Didn’t you read the posts about the BRANDS meet?? 70 clios all out on track doing parade laps round the circuit????

lol only 4th once??? You should be able to take most corners at brands in 4th... ahhhh I would have shown up all the 172 and v6 drivers if I had been there lol