ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Photo - copy right advice wantd asap

Trophy #267
Thats bad. On 1 hand its good that sum1 wants to use your picstures. but a company using a rivals picture to advertise a service is not on and should be charged for.

Interestingly, the poster who said their pics were used in the oulton park programme surely thats wrong and you should send the organisers a letter & invoice if thats been used in an official mag which is sold to the public ?

Annoying situation. Fortunately I actually get contacted, but then it often goes wrong from there!

Get asked for a photo to be used in a publication, as I don't charge I usually say yes, as long as I can have a copy of the publication for my portfolio

I've done this 4 times, guess how many copies I've received? It's less than 1, in case you're wondering.

I love seeing my pics in print so I'm always happy to supply (usually small companies, organisations etc) but as I'm doing them a favour I expect a little bit coming back my way, even a PDF would be fine.

Rally bus
Get asked for a photo to be used in a publication, as I don't charge I usually say yes, as long as I can have a copy of the publication for my portfolio

I've done this 4 times, guess how many copies I've received? It's less than 1, in case you're wondering.

And how many times have you chased them up demanding that they keep their side of the agreement? Less than 1? Add "failure to supply a copy of the publication will result in a charge of £250" to the usage agreement and then send an invoice when nowt arrives.

I don't understand why you give your work away for free anyway, it seems pointless spending ££££ on camera gear and then letting a company/magazine use your work for their own benefit when you're getting nothing out of it yourself. You're not even getting the "glory" of seeing the printed image. OK, it's a hobby, but it's an expensive hobby when you take into account fuel and so on... you should try and get some of the expense back if people are wanting to use your work.