ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PC'ing near edges

Williams 2
Hi, just wondering if it is safe to use a pc close to the edges of you panels, eg Bonnet, or does it tend to take off to much of the laquor. Would it be wise to just use a polishing pad instead of the cutting? Matt :cool:

al

ST on the way...
Always tape the edges.

i.e Put some tape on the top edges of your wings if your doing the bonnet.

al

ST on the way...
clio04nz4.jpg

106 GTi
I only tape edges when using a PC when doing heavy correction.

Under normal polishing you will be fine to leave them un-taped.

106 GTi
I only tape edges when using a PC when doing heavy correction.

Under normal polishing you will be fine to leave them un-taped.

Why's that Rich?

With a polishing or finishing pad on a mild polish there should be little danger of going through. With a cutting pad and heavier compounds on you could easily strike through.

106 GTi
If you use to much it will be a 'mare by the PC to get it to break down properly so you may install finer marks while taking out the larger ones.

Not enough product and allowing the pad to dry out against the paint is also as bad.

Ideally you need to find the optimum amount of polish, not to much but enough. For me that was the hardest bit to master and can vary from day to day due to the temperature etc.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
When i was learning to PC stuff, i used to practice on my orion. I only paid 200 for it as a daily runner. But anyway, its surprising how quick you can burn through the edges of the paint, like on the tops of wings etc, then end up with blue lines down the side where the primer shows through! D'oh!

106 GTi
With a proper rotary paint burn in thin areas can be easy, you will struggle to do that with a random orbital like the porter cable.

Mito Sportiva 135
When i was learning to PC stuff, i used to practice on my orion. I only paid 200 for it as a daily runner. But anyway, its surprising how quick you can burn through the edges of the paint, like on the tops of wings etc, then end up with blue lines down the side where the primer shows through! D'oh!

Don't scare me like that?! Just as well I won't be learning on my car!

106 GTi
See the above, Rotarys have no mercy and spin and spin even when bearing down on them. Push down on a PC to try and burn paint and the random orbital action means it's motor will bog down and slow before going through paint easily when using normal sized pad.

That said with a 4 inch pad on a thin spot of laquer it is easy to break through, they need more caution, I broke through the laquer easily trying to fix a wheel on my 182.

Mito Sportiva 135
See the above, Rotarys have no mercy and spin and spin even when bearing down on them. Push down on a PC to try and burn paint and the random orbital action means it's motor will bog down and slow before going through paint easily when using normal sized pad.

That said with a 4 inch pad on a thin spot of laquer it is easy to break through, they need more caution, I broke through the laquer easily trying to fix a wheel on my 182.

You fool! I have noticed that the bottom of the bodykit just outisde the driver's door is a little scratched so going to use the 4" pads on there. I have read that you can cause damage by angling the PC rather than laying it flat, much truth in this?

106 GTi
It was deep scratch, I had to try it, as it could have saved me money, either way I had nothing to lose as as it stood it needed paint anyway.

Ideally you should keep the pad flat, dangers of angling it over on the 4 inch pads (esp the thin one) is catching the packing plate on the paint, and without the pad flat at speed 4 inch pads easily fly off.

Mito Sportiva 135
Cool well I'll watch out for that then.... still not got the extension or the polish yet though lol.:rolleyes:

Williams 2
Thanks lads.....sounds asthough I should be ok then....I'll try the pc for the first time on the bonnet...so hopefully...if anything goes wrong...it won't be quite so bad! :rasp: