ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

panel or induction on 16v

Toureg vW Transporte

hi is it worth a panel filter on a 16 valve or a induction kit,i thought i hear that panel filters were meant to be ok on them

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

Unless you go for a sealed induction kit that may be expensive (piperx viper or BMC CDA) but does give performance gains and isnt too loud.

An IK may add a fraction of power to a 16v/Willy on the rollers - with your bonnet open and cool air being fanned on - but in the real world youll lose a bit of torque and power in circumstances where cold air is not forthcoming (e.g. around town, at low speeds, in warm weather).

Id say if you use your car purely out of town and at fairly high speeds, then the much-known-of disadvantages of an induction kit on a 16v/Willy wont really effect you. Ive got one on my car, but thats because my car came with one and I cant seem to find an airbox for reasonable money. But Id think really hard about spending £70-150 on an IK if I was commuting or driving around town a lot. Mind you, they do sound soooo good.

An airbox is designed to provide consistency in the engines performance - if theres too much cold air, itll add some hot air from the engine; if theres too much hot air, itll allow some cooler air in. Id stick with an airbox in your case and just get a performance element. Theres a good reason why most race cars use them.

BMW 320d Sport

If you want an airbox just say the word mate, Ive got one for sale. I dont think its silly money anyway...

A SHED!

Try the hillpower induction kit that comes with a heatsheild. It sounds wicked and although I admit it has lost a little low down, you notice the gain, even at slow speeds. It much better than K+Ns etc.

I fitted a K&n 57i induction kit to my cup i have lost no power , it sounds great and has given it a bit more top end. Not badly price to.

Strongly recomend K&Ns

Yeah, but the Cup is not a 16v/Willy!

Anyway, I hope Ive now sourced an original airbox, so hopefully Ill be able to put this debate to bed when Ive fitted it!

Personally I would go for the standard air bow with a good panel filter. Unless you wanna set your car up on the rollers and chip it for the K&N they are neither use nor ornament! Only cause more noise (which is nice) but reduce fuel economy. Unless you are spending a shed load on your cars performance they aint worth having.

(saying that I have still bought them in the past cos its kinda the thing to do!)

Quote: Originally posted by gord r on 08 January 2003

I fitted a K&n 57i induction kit to my cup i have lost no power , it sounds great and has given it a bit more top end. Not badly price to.

Strongly recomend K&Ns
i have tested all varients of the induction theme on the F4r engine i the clio. and suffice to say, ALL lost power over the std airbox bar the piper X viper and replacement elements.........BUT, they loose power as they clog and the std paper did just as good a job.

The open filters lost just as much as NO airbox at all. i.e. nothing but an open link pipe (yes i know, but it was a test for no restriction). anyway, they lost bhp through higher inlet temps...pure and simple.

Temp is one of the biggest influences.

oh, forgot to mention that the viper gained 6bhp by itself no chip or zorst, and the panel....a paltry 2bhp.....and the exhausts got 2bhp LOL....

All varients as in open filter, sealed kit (viper) and panel (both the OE paper, one of the first piper X in asia (not very well made) and a jap brank called King Dragon LOL.

Not ALL brands, i certainly have not tested yours but have heard its the danglies.

I tested them for a customer upgrade we were doin and to see what we could use/getaway with/cost etc etc.......we decided on the viper, not too expensive, noisy and decent power.....