ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

order of re-assembly for replacing steering rack and subframe

Clio 182 ff
I replaced the gearbox in my car and currently have the sub frame removed. The steering rack has been disconnect from the steering column with the pinch bolt and is suspended underneath the car on strong cable ties.

Which would be the easiest/correct way to re-assemble them back together? i.e. bolt the subframe back up loose to the car and bolt the steering column to it, then tighten the subframe then insert the pinch bolt or insert the pinch bolt first?

I noticed as well the the square section bar on the steering rack that inserts into the steering column is machined to allow adjustment. Why is this adjustment required? Sorry if the questions seem stupid but I don't want to bugger up the steering rack.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
I would bolt the rack to the subframe, jack the subframe up, do the front two bolts, then jack the rear up and make sure the pinch bolt is in alignment, then once the subframes on and bolted up, do the pinch bolt. I wouldnt put the strain on the column, Ive heard it can damage it.