ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ohms? confused....

renault clio 1.4 si 2000
hey guys! well, im getting seriously confused...

i've got an alpine MRP T220. it says:
140W x 1 RMS [4Ω -Bridged @14.4V (0.3%THD)]
• 70W x 2 RMS [2Ω @14.4V (0.3%THD)]
• 50W x 2 RMS [4Ω @14.4V (0.08%THD)]

was just in halfords and picked up a dual voice coil type r sub for 30 quid exdisplay!!!! but, it's 2 ohm+2 ohm. my amp bridged for one sub is 4 ohms, right? so does that mean it don't work??!!

i've been on jl audio's tech support, and the guide says a dvc 2 ohm speaker in series will result in a 4 ohm inpedence....does that mean that the setup works?
or am i A gonna blow it up? and B wasted my money?

cheers! :)

If you connect the coils in series then it will show 4Ohms and you will be fine.

If you do them in parallel then you will show the amp 1Ohm and melt it in about 3 minutes... LoL

Or, you could connect one channel to one voicecoil and the other channel to the other voicecoil, meaning you'd still be showing 70W/2Ohms to each coil (as per the middle of the 3 options you gave.) You'd have to be careful to make sure they were connected up so the didn't cancel each other out though!

*note: I'm not 100% sure on this... LoL

renault clio 1.4 si 2000
:D sounds good... well, its better than you telling me it just wont work!!! lol

from what i gather connecting the 2 channels independantly makes the coils act strangley...
i should pay someone to do this, but im far too tight!!
thanx

Polo + Micra
nah don't pay some one(unless it's a £10 to a mate who actually knows whats he's doing)

any problems you have just PM me and i should be able to help out

muz

big fat japanese bus
yup connect in series to show 4 ohm

give me 5 and I will psot a wiring diagram

renault clio 1.4 si 2000
cheers!! will try and post a pic when im done.
long as im not dead from MDF dust that is...