ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newbie Tempted with a 197

Ford Fiesta Mk6 Zetec S
Hello everyone,

I am new to the site been to a couple of meets with my mate in his 172 clio sport.

His car is amazing soo im thinking about stepping up from my 1.6 Mk6 Fiesta Zetec S to something a bit more powerful. The 197 does the job i feel.

be good to speak to a few people about one.

Cheers

Rob

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
compared to your current car they would be amazing, but me coming from a 182 they are heavier/slower and feel less fun(even tho stats are similar). However fantastic handling, but i feel it loses a bit of the special grunt that the 172/182 have due to it being heavier

Ford Fiesta Mk6 Zetec S
good info here guys

whats the cup pack give me?

also about fuel. In mine its fairly nippy around town soo only does 29/30 mpg due to my driving usually. on country roads im up at 36/37 then on motorway it revs soo high with only 5 gears soo usualy around 33mpg but with the clio having 6 gears i arnt expecting any more cost from a fuel point of view. or am i wrong?

Ford Fiesta Mk6 Zetec S
ah rite. i think im gonna buy a couple of months old one if i can get hold of one then i dont have to fork out for all the extra's (recaro seats, cup pack). dont see any around tho there too new.

ST
Welcome along matey..

As above if your buying brand new spec the cup pack onto it..

Or if you can source one of the last R27's even better..

Mine:

DSC01058.jpg

DSC01061.jpg

Ford Fiesta Mk6 Zetec S
thats just the colour i want. im fancying white speedline wheels tho if i cant find a R27.

whats the difference from yours to a normal 197 with a cup pack other than the limited number, stickers and colour of wheels?

that is one hell of a nice car tho!

ST
Recaro's, cup pack (anthracite wheels, red brembo's and revised suspension set up), rear tints all as standard matey..

Ford Fiesta Mk6 Zetec S
aye im gonna have to keep looking and hope one comes up. i would really like the R27. have to be in red i think altho everyone else says yellow is a must.

where abouts you live alan?

i have been out to test a 197 but they wudnt let me go further than around the block which is thought was rubbish. soo that put me off a little bit how bad the renualt dealer was with me.

ST
I'm in South Lanarkshire, 15 miles outside Glasgow..you??

Seems like a rubbish dealer if they wouldn't give you a proper test drive..

Ford Fiesta Mk6 Zetec S
West Yorkshire - Bradford

Aye i think they are. im gonna go to a different one and see if i can borrow one for an hour. might have to go down with ma dad tho as im only 22 soo might have more of a chance if dad comes down:)

Ford Fiesta Mk6 Zetec S
you must live in a nice area.

my 1.6 ZS at the moment. i had it brand new when i was 20 and it cost me £1800 to insure for 10 months. now its down to £700 with 1 years no claims. soo with 2 years no claims and the car been in a garage over night im guessing its gonna be pricy but not silly money?

Its only a Clio FFS, shouldn't have any problem at all insuring a 197 for under a grand at that age.

Pipe down Panzer..;)

Lol, insurance companies do my head in! They give you the impression insurance will drop by the time you are 21 on performance cars, it now seems to have pushed to 25.
Whilst the 197's are a very fine car its not exactly an Evo is it!

Ford Fiesta Mk6 Zetec S
1700 my quote. with a bit of hanggling i recon i can get it down to 1400 soo thats not bad for a car like that i dont think?

ST
I'm with Privilage..

Clean licence (touches wood), 2 years no claims, Glasgow postcode garaged, 12,000 miles a year, an accident back in 2005 when i had my dynamique, me as policy holder, mum as 1st named driver, gf as 2nd named driver £840 it was this year.

Ford Fiesta Mk6 Zetec S
can i put your mum and gf on my policy please:)

mines just with my dad on at the mo. i think i need to make some female names up dont i see if that helps.

Ford Fiesta Mk6 Zetec S
lol i know but thats still doable. i would have thought it would have been around that price. god knows how alan has got it soo cheep. might have to ring his company up and argue the toss with them:).

could anyone fill me in with the fuel it uses please?

Renault Clio Sport 1
Hey there!

I just got my new 197 at the start of Jan! Absolutely love it! Especially as all my mates are drivin round in Cooper S's. Thought i'd go for somethin different! Always had respect for the 172 & 182's, so am enjoyin driving a Clio Sport at long last.

Was i big step up from a 1-Litre Yaris :D , but im doin alrite.

Being 22 and livin in northern ireland, i thought i was gonna get screwed for the insurance. Even with 4 years no claims, Direct line wud not insure me due to the factory fitted optional extras, but Bell managed to.

Renault Clio Sport 1
Bell insured me Fully Comp, wiv all the legal stuff and replacement car etc for £1600 in Northern Ireland! Think thats pretty good considering 2 other companies could only quote me at least £4000, due to my age.

Renault Clio Sport 1
Should really see how much it would be to insure it in Crewe, as thats where i live most of the year?

But it's pretty dodgey as well! lol

ST
lol i know but thats still doable. i would have thought it would have been around that price. god knows how alan has got it soo cheep. might have to ring his company up and argue the toss with them:).

could anyone fill me in with the fuel it uses please?

You're in Yorkshire mate yeah??

Does it have a high crime rate, i've only really driven through Yorkshire the once..

You'll get around 36mpg on a motorway run at 65-70 but if you start pressing on 75-95 expect around 29mpg..

Round town in slow moving city centre traffic mine will drop to 25ish but i get on average 28-32mpg mixed driving which isn't bad IMO.