ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newbie looking at Trophy

Hi Guys

Just coming from a Vauxhall VX220 Turbo (regular at vx220.org) and test drove a Trophy today. Did a back to back test with the Trophy and a standard 182 and knew within half a mile that the Trophy was for me. Am thinking about it overnight before calling the sales guy in the morning. While skulking around the forum noticed that Bluewater was mentioned. Is that Bluewater in Kent? I live about 2 mins from the shopping centre so that would be cool.

Need to decide about the car now!!

Lee

BMW M2C

Yeah, thats Bluewater in Kent, they hold regular meets there.

I had a Cup packed 182 before the Trophy. Im still over the moon with the Trophy.

Ive already had it on track once, and have covered 2k miles in a month!! I love driving it.

Lee

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Like I said over at VX220.org ;)

I loved my 182 but the VX is a totally different car.
It has road presence, where as the 182 can be mistaken as "just another clio".

The 182 can be pushed a lot harder and is more forgiving to drive.

The biggest downside imho is teh residual values. 1 year old 182s are selling for 9k, I know the 182 Trophy will hold a little more, but not much more.

The problem is that Renault VERY rarely sell a car for full price, they seem happy to discount to virtually everybody.

Clio Cup

How did the trophy compare with your vxt kinnyboy? It would be interesting to hear from someone who has driven such a high standard car.

The downside for all cars is the depreciation anyway, you offset it with the fun you get from the car. Id say buy the trophy its a bargain for 13000 and screw the depreciation.

Even VXTs were being sold for 26000 and now low mileage ones are going for 18000, the VXR version might even be worse for depreciation. I think that saab guy on the vx group sold his vxr for £24000 and it had ohlins/miltek/4000miles etc most probably costing over £32000 new.

Well the VXT certainly got looked at! It was astonishingly fast and I loved it but I rarely drove it as I work from home and have a Mini Cooper S for a runabout. I had the VXT 6 months and bought it for £21000 and sold for £18300 after only putting 1500 miles on it so id say depreciation is something you cant escape with any car. Have decided to get rid of the Mini as well so want a car that is more than a mini but less than a VX until I win the lottery. For the price I think the Trophy is going to be great.

Comparison wise the VXT is superior in so many ways and handles beautifully but you really have to know what youre doing and understand whats going on under the car as doing something silly can result in a moment!! The traction and power out of corners and especially roundabouts actually takes your breath away and your passenger is always gripping the seats. Ultimately for me though it was just sitting there depreciating so I want something that I will actually use. I only had a 20 min test drive in the Trophy today but it felt superior to the standard 182 especially in the driving position (must be the Recaros) and communication through the steering. Its too early for me to draw proper comparisons with the VXT but needless to say I was impressed and certainly wont feel short-changed driving it.

Renault Laguna Coupe

For the money the Trophy is pretty good. Sure itll depreciate, but there wont be another Renaultsport Clio for a year or more, so it should at least hold its value for a while.

A VXT would murder it round a track, but like you say, you get to drive it every day and at least you can carry luggage and get in and out without having to be a contortionist.

Megane r26

just ordered mine in the last hour, got a pretty good deal as well.

it is coming september the first so will have a new plate, asked the dealer if he would look for one with the letters i want and he said he would. just need to think of which ones i want now!!!