ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Sub too Beefy

Cupra K1 & Clio 200

I just got my new Rockford Fosgate Punch 2112. It is slightly more powerful than my old Type-R. Thing is, it seems that i have to really feed this sub some serious power before i get the same performance from the Type-R. I have my gain on my amplifier turned upto about half way, and my head unit (which has 4V pre-outs) has its gain up a fair bit too.

Is this about right for a 1x760W max amp? Am i feeding it too much? Better yet, will it blow? Thanks!

Hon

Cupra K1 & Clio 200

Thats what i was thinking exactly!! Thing is, if a sub has a greater efficiency, does that mean it has a larger dB value? Slightly consfused, what anyone like to enlighten me?? Thanks

Not exactly. If a sub has a better efficiency than another one that is being compared to then you should in theory get more out of it on the same amp..however this all depends on the type of enclosure it is in.

The Rockford will need more power than the Alpine as the Alpine range is designed to run off there own amps which apart from the top models, arent really very powerful. Therefore they design them to get the maximum power off a small amp..starting with a high efficiency.

The Rockford 2112 on the other hand is a no bullsh*t, fat SPL monster which is designed to have large excursion for loads of bass. I wont go into the science of it cos its very boring but what you are experiencing is normal.

By the way..a 760 watts Max amp on a 2112 sub..how did that come about. I think an upgrade is order of the day. Those things will take a good 650 watts RMS without even breaking a sweat. The only company i can think of that rates an amp as 760watts is the top Sony model..surely its not a Sony amp that you have running it is it?

Russ

Cupra K1 & Clio 200

No its a Pioneer old range. 2 channel amp bridged to give 1x760 W max :oops:

However i thought it served the type-R quite well. obviously this momma will take a bit more juice! In the manual, it said the recommended RMS for the 2112 is 500W RMS. Russ are you slightly exaggerating??

No exaggerations here. The HX2 subs will take loads of power. They were designed to be run off the bd amp series. I know it says 500 watts RMS but the lowest one (bd500) normally puts out around 630 which is fine. I have known that in the corect box people have fed 1000 watts to them and had good results.

I definately think you need to change your amp to something more powerful though. I would probably stick with a Rockford amp to power it but there are a few options out there.

Russ

Cupra K1 & Clio 200

Yeah i just had a look at the bd series, and they are quite powerful!!

Thing is, i brought the 2112 which is dual voice 2 ohm. I currently wired it so that they are in series hence 4 ohm, which is what my amp is. Thing is, most of the bd series are only good at 2 ohm stable. At 4 ohm, they a bit weak. Is there some way i can turn my 2 ohm DVC into 2 ohm and not 4? Or even 1 ohm? Ive looked at the instruction manual, and they only suggest 1 wiring diagram. That is, wiring in series for 4 ohm.

Also do you sell the bd series, Russ? Ive only looked at CarAudioDirect.co.uk for prices as they are reasonably priced.

Thats a bonus that it is the dual 2ohm version. The Rockford bd series will run down to 1ohm stable and play all day long. Just wire the sub in parallel to show the amp 1ohm. It wont get hot or cut out. Weve been running a couple of bd500s at 1ohm for a year or so now on various subs with no fans or extra cooling. They dont even get warm and have never cut out.

We do indeed sell the bd series amps. I think we have the bd500 at the lowest price in the country at the moment. It comes out at £290 whereas the normal price is about £360.

Russ

Cupra K1 & Clio 200

Hmmm...that is actually quite a good deal Russ. I went caraudiodirect and theyre charging £400. Silly buggers! Is this ur normal price or will it eventually go up again? Thing is, ive got an pioneer amp, and its perfectly fine, just dont know what to do with it should i get the RF one.

Theres also a new Kenwood one...KAC-8151D. Its a D-class mono, pushing 1x500W RMS @ 1 ohm. Is this any good? Do you sell this one as well, or would the RF amp be a better bet?

The price wont go up on that particular model as they have stopped making them so you will soon have to go for the new model which is £400. If you want one you would have to get in there quite quick before they sell out. The only difference between the old one and the new one is the heatsink shape and the new one has a 24db crossover instead of an 18db.

The Kenwood one would also do the job but the RF is so much better its untrue. You will get near enough double the power out of the RF, plus it has a better crossover and has better build quality.

Russ.