ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New clutch

Ive had a feeling for a while that my 16v is underpowered also the clutch pedal seems heavier than normal and gears are hard to select. If the clutch was slipping would it have to slip suddenly every now and then or just make the car feel underpowered? The revs don’t suddenly shoot up without the speed but it just doesn’t feel quite right.

I’m dubious to ask a garage because they tend to tell me the clutch is too heavy and I need a new one anyway. Is there a sure way I can test it or will I just have to wait and see if it gets worse?

Deffo sounds like you need a new clutch mate, hard selecting gears etc. BBPT do OE cluthes at half decent prices - depends how far you wanna travel? i suppose it could also be a loose clutch cable?? This would certainly give the same effects. I wouldnt wait and see if it gets worse mate, if you think it needs doing and youve got the cash mate.......

I was looking at BB just before but Im up in Cheshire so its a bit of a way (BTW does anyone know a good garage in the Chester area that could do this?).

I have had a new cable fitted recently which is why Im not too sure if thats on right but would a loose cable cause power loss? Youre probably right though, time to get a new clutch.

Audi S3

if it seems overly heavy it could well be the clutch especially if u r finding it hard to select a gear as thats how my clutch went! summit to do with that because its a push clutch a component in the clutch is bending so that the clutch can only jsut disingage!

hope that helps! also i got mine replaced for a grp n for about £350 in total!

Matt

Yes sounds like your clutch. Mine was doing the same, it wasnt really badly slipping but you could tell power wasnt getting to the wheels, and for some reason when it was wet and cold it got worse. The thing is, if there is a fault with some part of the clutch, by the time the mechanic has got the thing out to see you are into 5 hrs labour time and the same to get it back in. The standard clutch kit was only £70 plus vat so you might as well get it done. Dont know how 16v matt got it done for £350, that sounds well cheap. Mine cost £420 fitted, whcih was alot better than some of the £650 quotes.

Audi S3

well i got the grp n clutch from K-tec for about £150 and then with a little help form a friend got it fitted for £175 ish! mint :D

Matt