ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My detail requirements...

MK2 P1 1.4S
In the next two weeks, I'm going to give my car probably the only full detail it's ever had, so I bought some Clay and Detailer, and Meg's Gold Class Wax sealant. The paint is dulled pearl black, but from inspection it doesn't seem to have swirl marks, just hundreds of parallel fine scratches running the length of the car; so here's my question. Will these be easier to remove than swirl marks due to them all be orientated the same way? I am also unsure about what product to use as I was initally going to use ScratchX, but I heard you can't apply this with a machine.
I don't have a Porter Cable, but I have a similar machine, but it uses a larger bonnet, so I can't find the commonly mentioned ones. Would lambswool bonnets be OK for the polish application?

Thanks in advance

i would probably use your hand and some elbow grease mate! but i have heard the scratchX stuff is good.. i bought some then lost it.. didnt get a chance to try it out..

106 GTi
Scratch X works well, but to do a whole car and de swirl black will take losts of hours and elbow grese. I gave up on mine a brought a PC! Works better in small areas by hand. Meguiars say not to use it by machine as when it gets hot it can gum up, but lots of people have found it fine by machine. Not tried it myself though.

When you say you have a similar machine ie, randon orbit like the PC or a rotary polisher?

I would also stay away from a lambswool pad unless you are quite competant with the machine. Can do more damage than good.

ant

yep.
read this http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=7011

what scratch x can do[not tried mine yet!]

2MB2GrossSwirls1p.jpg

Golf GTI 1.8T
i might give that scratch X a go on my car, its got terrible paintwork at the mo, and one day I'm gonna give it a full clay over too....

ST
One day....i dont mine on sunday night at 7.30pm....come on Mitch get the finger out son, longer you leave it the worse it'll get.....

MK2 P1 1.4S
Thanks for all the help guys.

r-jay said:
When you say you have a similar machine ie, randon orbit like the PC or a rotary polisher?

It's a random orbital.

Cheers for the headsup on the lambswool bonnets, I guess I'll just do it by hand, the results look pretty good. Will take me forever, but I think it will be worth it.

106 GTi
Maybe try and see if you canget some varying degrees of foam pads to fit your machine?

MK2 P1 1.4S
I'll keep a look out for some foam pads for the polisher, I think it's a 8 inch polishing pad. If i find some good pads, I'll try using the Klasse AIO; I don't know if it will be agressive enough, but The paint is in fairly good condition.