ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mods at 19 on insurance... How!?

Monaro VXR
And if you do have an accident and there discovered you can look forward to no payout. And a possible court case for driving without insurance.

you had an accident then with mods and not declaried on insurance ? becuase i know quiet a few people that have had accidents not declaring mods and nothink done about it and they got a pay out

Nope as my car is near enough a standard car only minor mods which made no difference. Taking original spoiler off and adding the one on the options list so the way insurance company saw it was that I changed to a spoiler that integrated the original one result was no change in policy but its declared.

And colour coding again no change.

Its a what can happen thing and in the extreme circumstance your involved in an accident costing a lot of money your responsible for if they can find a way to get out of payment they will.

Either way driving without declared mods you might as well be driving without any insurance and i term people who do that as t***s plain and simple. If you cant insure it properly you cant afford to drive simple as.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
If I used the parents on there and sued there NCB wouldn't they have to swap there NCB from there existing cars over to mine?
If you add your mum as a named driver your premium will go lower and it wouldn't effect any no claims bonus she has as its your policy. Bell have said that after 10months the bonus is all mine, I dont have to renew with them although they have so far provided me with the best quotes.

D

deadonkey

It seems to me that the difference an induction kit is going to make is minimal to say the least. Why is it worth a hike in your insurance?

Just wait a few years 22 23 or so and buy a 182. I think people will agree, a standard 182 will go better than any 1.4 modded apart from spending thousands.

Is it worth it??

Monaro VXR
10 month accelerator policies are only counted by some companies keep that in mind. Know someone that got one and only 3 companies he tried would accept it all of them were part of the same company.

It seems to me that the difference an induction kit is going to make is minimal to say the least. Why is it worth a hike in your insurance?

Just wait a few years 22 23 or so and buy a 182. I think people will agree, a standard 182 will go better than any 1.4 modded apart from spending thousands.

Is it worth it??

lol hate stuff like this. When im 22/23 I will want something faster than a 182 so might aswell save up till Im 50 and buy an Aston Martin. I don't want my car to be as quick as a 182, I just want to try and do the best I can at 19 with the money I have, So putting little mods on like Induction Kit, different alloys, maybe an exhaust etc just makes me feel better ranther than saving my whole life. Think about it, If I thought like that when would I buy a car? lol when would I not think "hmm.. give it 5 more years and I could have something so much better!! :D:D"

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Try HIC, they only charge for power effectinfg mods.

I was paying £700 with alloys, lowered, with 5 points and a claim, 1 yr NCB.

Like people have said, I wouldn't bother doing anything to mod the power of a small car, really isn't any point IMO.

Just build up your no claims on a car that has a couple of cosmetic mods, then get a fast one when you are a bit older.

MK2 PH2 & E46 330
Try HIC, they only charge for power effectinfg mods.

I was paying £700 with alloys, lowered, with 5 points and a claim, 1 yr NCB.

Like people have said, I wouldn't bother doing anything to mod the power of a small car, really isn't any point IMO.

Just build up your no claims on a car that has a couple of cosmetic mods, then get a fast one when you are a bit older.

when i was trying places i think HIC said no because theyve changed their rules in the past 6 months... not sure if it was them. but it meant they started charging for mods.

best for me was elephant. on an RT with lowering, alloys and exhaust 900 for the year. 18, nada no claims and 1 years experience.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
I don't know then, I've not really aske dthem any questions since taking out insurance with them.

My preimums started at £1300 when I first passed my test on an un-modded fiesta, now is £200 now, with 4 years NCB protected, only on a 1.2, but it proves that as long as you are careful it does drop realtively quickly, in 5 years, mine has dropped £1100.

T

Tom1D

to start, good luck with the hunting. I found Norwich union were good as i get 12 months for the price of 9 and im 18, my 1.4 which has an induction, alloys is only £694.50. however according to a colleague at work it all depends on who u talk to, he use to work motor insurance and it is at their discretion on discounts and stuff, so try and get a woman eh ;). also try zurich. they have to quote you, even if it is pricy. give it a go and good luck, at the end of the day the more u search, the better it gets. bona vista

lol Thanks all for your comments. I've gone with Norwich Union who quoted me £1900 on my own policy for 9 months (rapid bonus scheme) and it all seems fine. Got my Induction Kit and Leather interior declared aswell and they said adding the 172 spoiler shouldn't add on anything either. My post code is an E on the scale thingy so for everyone that saying "OMG BLOORS GETTING RAPED!", thats why! lol

Thanks for all the help guys, could maybe make this a sticky or something jus because I found it very helpful and it has alot of views and suggestions enclosed in it.

Adam

Monaro VXR
E rating postcode isnt so bad my old place did not exactly have a rating. It went off the scale but because the place was an expensive place to live they basically raped people on insurance costs.

£4000 was not an uncommon quote rising to over £10,000 on some sites.

Problem with living in a city centre apartment in Manchester and car being parked on the street. They see the address and whack money on top because they know you have to pay it and well were likely to have the money.