ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MK1 172 30K Service - Scary results

I just picked up my Mk1 172 from its 30K service. Got new front discs and pads (eek) and the usual filters/fluids. Unfrotunately Ive been told the car has a few fluid leaks - I bought it at 23K 8 months back. Apparently the left-rear shock is leaking a little and the PAS pump quite a lot - posing a rick of leaking onto belts and corroding them. They wre the significant ones, after that there is a little oil seepage and small leakage (coloring gave it away) around the centre box. Finally , the timing belt is due at 36K and I have put it off till then - cash issues.

Can anyone she any light on which of the above are concerns (have you encountered them) and which arent? Going back to the original garage in the am to check the warranty coverage.

Thanks

C.

alright fella, mine is coming up to 28k and im hoping i dont have any of your problems happenin. by the way isnt the service schedule 24k then 36k, is there a reason you had it done at 30k?

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

very early vehicles might be on 10000mile service intervals.timing belt is 72000miles or every 5 years(whichever comes sooner).miner engine oil leaks are nothing to worry about but i would change a leaking shocker.dont think youll be able to claim under warranty on any of the items you mentioned.

Car was serviced at 23K when I bought it - I wouldn;t have been happy leaving it another 10+ before servicing - expecially oil - hence the service.

Jay - The garage here informed me the timing belt was due at 36K - does that make sense? Its a 2001 mk1. Should I defer to after 40K at least?

Im ringing the garage I bought it form today to look at getting the shock and PAS pump done - and perhaps the oil leaks investigated. Had a 106 Gti previously and it always bled a little (very little) around the seals. - have to get the guards off and have a look myself.

i have a mk1 172 as well, after buying it with 23k on the clock, since then i have had the rear left shock replaced under warrenty, (so i would argue this point with them).

Also the alternator belt split round the length and were going to charge me 208 quid to fit a new one. I argued that a car which was serviced before i picked it up should not have had such a problem. It ended up not being a warrenty job but and good will gesture. So i would argue that point with them as well.

Now its going for its 36000 mile service at a wopping £280 not including parts. Oh the joys of the 172

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

Ive just had a 36k service on my Mk1 172 with no problems reported. I have replaced the pads recently, at about 30k. The accessory belt has to be changed at 36k apparantly (mine has to be re-booked for that).

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

Quote: Originally posted by colinryan on 09 December 2003

Car was serviced at 23K when I bought it - I wouldn;t have been happy leaving it another 10+ before servicing - expecially oil - hence the service.

Jay - The garage here informed me the timing belt was due at 36K - does that make sense? Its a 2001 mk1. Should I defer to after 40K at least?

Im ringing the garage I bought it form today to look at getting the shock and PAS pump done - and perhaps the oil leaks investigated. Had a 106 Gti previously and it always bled a little (very little) around the seals. - have to get the guards off and have a look myself.

sounds like theyve got there wires crossed.timing belt is definatly 72000 or 5 years but the alternator belt may be due at 36000.if youve got your gen renault service book all the info is in there.

Agree timing belt is at 72k and alternator at 36k as per service schedule.

By coincidence (!) Mine had a new PAS pump and also rear nearside shock done on warrenty before I bought the car, previous owner paid half & reno paid half, so I guess you shoudl be able to get at the very least the same deal IF you are still covered by warrenty. Think it happened around the 25-30k point, had the electric fan unit replaced also.

Theres no note of the alternator belt being done on the 36k service for mine, but I presume they would have changed it when replacing the PAS pump (I hope!).

I had my rear shock replaced under warranty,even though my 172 was lowered(dealer asked if it was.....i said no)and also water pump,so i would argue my case if i was you.