ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mechanical differences: 172 v 172 cup sus

Hi, what is the mechanical difference between the suspension on a standard mk2 172 and the suspension fitted to 172 Cups (and also as the Cup pack on the 182)? e.g. ride height, different spring, dampers, etc.

I ask because Ive very recently purchased a standard 172 but just had a go of a 182 fitted with the Cup suspension, and I preferred the feel of the cupped 182.

Can the cup suspension pack be retro-fitted to my 172? Anyone know roughly how much this would cost? And, would it void the warranty? It shouldnt, being official Reno parts, if fitted by Reno. For warranty reasons Im not going to mod the suspension otherwise (e.g. aftermarket springs).

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

They have uprated springs,shockers and the wheel offset is different. Be cheaper though just to get some ebiach springs. they wont make a major difference to ride height but they would improve the handling.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Cup suspension has...

firmer shocks
higher spring rates
lower ride (a staggering -3mm :oops: )
3 deg front castor
wider track (wheel offset)

The best (& cheapest) thing you can do to your 172 is fit a set of Eibach springs and get some wheel spacers to widen the track, which will really improve the handling!