ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

maystar amp

What are peoples opinions on maystar amps?

I am looking at getting a QXT500 5 channel amp to power 2 sets of door 5.25" full range and a single 10" sub from the 5th channel. Will this amp do the job as I can get it for £165 so it seems like a good all in one choice, plus it comes with remote bass control.

Any opinions appreciated.

what sort of power is it?

ive heard a few good things about them, id still class them as a budget amp.

but i couldnt say how good they will sound, sorry:(

350z & 16v Maxi

its 1000watts MAX, the amp is OK for a budget amp and if OK is what your looking for the it is fine. To get better you would need to spend more money.

Im not looking at getting monster bass or anything, just want rid of the 6*9s and some decent bass into the car, the amp has 4*45w rms plus 1*160w rms for the sub. I think this should be sufficient for what I want.

Cheers

i have an alpine type r 12" being run of a rockford fosgate 500x amp.

its getting 1x210w rms.

the bass is high quality without shaking the car to death.

maystar are superb budget amps and belive it or not on the right speakers they can sound fantastic,

what components are running?

Tom

350z & 16v Maxi

Just a point about RMS and MAX power for whoever is interested. This amp is rated 1000 watts MAX however only has about 350watts RMS (and i bet if you worked out the theoretic RMS it would not even be that). Just shows how cheaper brands like to put v high MAX power ratings on there amps etc.

Not taking anything away from the amp tho, it is still a decent performer for the money.

Maystar are a good budget brand and its a bonus coming with a remote bass controller.

If it was me however i would go for the JBL GTO 6000 amp for £175. Ive heard one and it sounded really nice with a JL 12W0 sub on it. It is a 6 channel but will give your sub 250watts RMS and the speakers around 55 watts RMS per channel. They are realistic power figures too.

Just my opinion there

Russ

Thanks for the advice, Ive just spotted one of those jbls in Revs for £169 but I would really like a bass controller also. How much do they sell for?

Also, does a component set-up offer a vast improvement over co-ax? I am going to get a new set of speakers to replace the 6*9s anyway, should I put the co-ax from the front into the rear side panels and replace the fronts with some components?

Steve

Clio Williams 1, 182,197

Bass controllers aint dear !! Ususally about 20- 30 quid !! Id keep all speakers except the sub up the front. Yes componants do offer a much better sound than co ax stuff !!

But hey what do i know !!

Well i do know that shaking that ass, shaking that ass makes ya ass wobble if ya too fat !!

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

Quote: Originally posted by Leigh on 16 April 2003

But hey what do i know !!

Well i do know that shaking that ass, shaking that ass makes ya ass wobble if ya too fat !!
Wise words!;)

Budget brands do have a way of slapping a massive figure on an amp when realistically you wouldnt get even a quarter of that power from them in terms of RMS. My Legacy amp pumps out 1200W max apparently but only 50W RMS on the individual channels @ 4 Ohms!!

What I would like to know is, if you bridge two channels that are 50W RMS do you get exactly 100W or is it a bit lower/higher (cos the book that came with my amp says 600W max but no RMS for a bridged channel)

cheers

Rick

Steve Dynamique - We could match that £169 price on the JBL if you were interested in it.

A bass control is a handy tool but you can do similar things with a good headunit. Dont get confused with one of the bass controllers that are in Halfords etc for £30. They arent proper bass controllers..they are only gain controllers. A bass controller will increase bass levels at a set frequency (usually 45Hz). A gain controller will only adjust the amount of gain that the amp will receive through the RCAs. This will give the impression of increasing volume at all frequenies but will actually be throwing your amp into clipping and distortion. That can only be bad for your sub.

With only 150-250 watts RMS the bass controller on the Maystar wont make much of a difference. The extra poke from the JBL will be much more noticeable.

With regards to the component question. You will notice a much better sound quality from components and the sound will be more defined...as if it is split up into areas rather than muddled together.

Personally i like some rear fill so you could move your rears to the back of the car but dont put as much gain through them. That will ensure that you dont have the soundstage dragged backwards. Or you could do as Leigh said and run fronts and rears in the front...nothing wrong with that.

Russ