ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lowering Opinions

Finally thinking about getting round to lowering the car, due to insurance 50mm is my max at the moment.

So here's what I was wondering, whats everyones opinions on the Apex 40mm Kit, Spax RSX coilovers, and sticking with std shocks and 40mm springs, the cars a MK2 PH2.

Are any of them more liable than the others to make the car twitchy at 60 odds or will the car be more planted than it is just?

Spax are one of the best as you probably know.
Should be fine on 40mm springs only..no more though..as you will bottom out.
will handle better due to being lower the the centre of gravity.
I had mine on 35mm springs and it isnt much different to my 60mm Pi shocks and springs.

what engine is it?

Renaultsport Clio 182
any more than a 40mm drop and your cat will be in range when going over speed humps! could be very costly if you mangle the underside.

i'd go for a 30mm drop myself

White Sti Hatch
Go with the Apex ones i had cars alot more planted to the raod and dont roll as much in the corners....all depends on your budget though

BMW M135i
Erm spax are no where near one of the best for a start! I had a apex kit, was a very hard ride I wouldn't recommend it didn't improve the handling at all. Did look very good though.

Unless you want to be spending £500/600 on some decent bottom end coils then i'd go with eibach sportlines.

White Sti Hatch
any more than a 40mm drop and your cat will be in range when going over speed humps! could be very costly if you mangle the underside.

i'd go for a 30mm drop myself

I was down 40 and car was no where near speed bumps theres nothing to worry about unless your stupid enough to go flooring it over them then your gonna cause some damage to your undercarage..

Erm spax are no where near one of the best for a start! I had a apex kit, was a very hard ride I wouldn't recommend it didn't improve the handling at all. Did look very good though.

Unless you want to be spending £500/600 on some decent bottom end coils then i'd go with eibach sportlines.

I had an Apex set of springs on mine and the ride was no where near very hard or hard at all and as for the handeling it improved leaps over the standard and got rid of the terrible body roll.

Gary all depens on what your willing to spend and how much longer you think youll be keeping the car in the end

BMW M135i
Depends then I guess, i had the 40mm kit and when I went back to standard when I sold the car there was no real difference tbh. They're only cheap springs/dampers and it shows imo.

And if you don't call that a hard ride then I don't know what you do!

Just noticed you only had springs though.

Best idea IMO. Eibach sportlines give a sensible drop but will also give a decent ride/handling. I had the Apex -40mm springs (on a 172 though) and the shocks were fine after 15 months use. Apex were too harsh at speed though - very bumpy and just lacked control IMO. Looked brilliant though!

Not considering spending more than £150, was prepared to stretch myself for the RSX coilovers if they were worth it, obviously not though.

Realistically only looking to keep the car for a year, sportlines seem to be the prefered spring on here.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
I have had Apex Springs / Apex Spring Kit and Eiback Sportline Springs.

I would recomend teh Eibach Sportline Springs to you.

Mondeo TXS Bardge.
i'm in the same boat as you but dont want to spend an extortionate amont on them, i only want to spend £150 including the increase on my insurance and will only be keeping the car for a year. but the sport lines are my whole budget so to speak.

what are the other options? apex ive been told are ok, not great but good, what about koni or g-max, and better/worse? ilooked at spax springs today but they looked really cheap and nasty.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
They drop to just the right hieght, letting the arches frame the wheels.

The springs themselves are progressive (the Apex are not) which means there is minimal loss in comfort, the reduce bodyroll very well.

All is of course my opinion!

You can buy Sportlines for about £130 inc delivery I think.

Edit: 135.76 from motorsportworld.co.uk

Last edited:
  Clio 182
How much harsher is the ride with Eibach Sportlines vs standard cup suspension on a FF 182? Specically i'm talking about ride harshness, NOT handling (which I know improves). :)

Clio 182
Ok cool that'sd what I wanted to hear... does the price at K-Tec include fitting or if not how much extra do places usually charge to do them? Can any local garage fit them easily?

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
You need to shop around, doubt the K-Tec price will include fitting.

I got mine fitted for £30 by another member, some peopel have had quote of upto £100 from garages!

A well built VW
I had H&R on mine and highly rate them sensible drop and good ride - similar to Eibach tbh

Speak to DJW John he had the -40 kit on his and iirc Rob had both Apex kits on his clio