ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Laptop Based ECU Code Reader/Data reader?

FF Clio 182
I am sorry if this has already been posted somewhere else, i had a look but couldn't find a straigh forward answer. Anyone know of any good software that can be purchased or "downloaded" ;) that i can run on a laptop for fault code reading. If so then also what kind of cable would i need to plug into the edu? Link if possible?. After reading a couple of thread, people have said about 10 different bits of software and i don't really want to have to go through all of them looking to see which one is the better out of the lot.

Thanks in advance

Its for a Clio if anyone was wondering but if i can get one that does other cars thats great.

172/1.2/E30
RSTuner. Very capable for diagnostics (with ABS/Airbag/OBD addons) and flashing maps. Included datalogger is a great tool aswell.

FF Clio 182
RSTuner. Very capable for diagnostics (with ABS/Airbag/OBD addons) and flashing maps. Included datalogger is a great tool aswell.

Yh but i was thinking on the more cheaper side instead of £150! I heard about something called "PCMscan" Any good ?

Ph1 172, E36 328
Ever thought of buying a handheld code reader/eraser. I bought one off eBay for just over £20. It's been great, even turned my engine management light (cat fault) off that my local garage couldn't with they're laptop. If your having a problem or need a light turning off then pop down. I'm only in Gloucester. You're more than welcome to borrow it.

FF Clio 182
Ever thought of buying a handheld code reader/eraser. I bought one off eBay for just over £20. It's been great, even turned my engine management light (cat fault) off that my local garage couldn't with they're laptop. If your having a problem or need a light turning off then pop down. I'm only in Gloucester. You're more than welcome to borrow it.

Oh ok thanks mate I will have to remember that :)

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
I have a cable and software called odbwiz, seems to read most things quite well.

FF Clio 182
+1

I use a handheld unit for quick readings, that lives in the glovebox
and on the laptop when I home / have more time I use

easyobd
pcmscan
palmers data logger
vagcom - for vag's (before it gets a comment)
+ 4 others

also got autodata, peugeot workshop manuals and ford workshop manuals
god i love my laptop lol

PCMscan is the software I have I just need to buy the cable. Will a ELM327 cable off eBay work and does it matter about OBD2 and EOBD

FF Clio 182
+1

I use a handheld unit for quick readings, that lives in the glovebox
and on the laptop when I home / have more time I use

easyobd
pcmscan
palmers data logger
vagcom - for vag's (before it gets a comment)
+ 4 others

also got autodata, peugeot workshop manuals and ford workshop manuals
god i love my laptop lol

You said you have one you stick in your glove box? Do you have a link to which one you have ?

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
Yea, i got mine from m99.com before they shut down, paid £10 delivered including about 7 programs.

thats an elm327 cable

Any standard OBD2 cable will work on most (petrol) cars after 2001.

Any standard OBD2 software will only be able to read error codes relating to the engine management system.

The majority (read as all) of manufacturers have a different system for accessing everything else on the ECU such as ABS/Airbag/Service Lights etc.

Basically, the cheap code readers will only be able to do very limited code reading on cars but it is usually enough for use at home.

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
No I on about a portable hand held one ? Sorry if I coming across as a bit slow

I got my handheld one from ktec about 3 years ago, paid £40 for it coz i got pissed off giving renault 80 to read it twice a month